The Spooky Classics: 5 Classic Novels to Read during Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

With Halloween rapidly approaching, we must begin to put ourselves in the ghostly mindset. These five titles will have you in the spooky spirit in no time!

The Picture of Dorian GRay by Oscar WIlde

The story of Dorian Gray is an excellent title for the weeks leading up to Halloween. After getting a portrait done of himself, the young Dorian Gray sells his soul and now the painting displays his signs of sin and aging. Slowly but surely, the attractive Mr. Gray spirals into moral destruction. The reader is given a glimpse into the state of Dorian’s soul through the canvas, and it is a must read for the spooky season!

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Set in the dangerous moors of England, Wuthering Heights tells the story of Heathcliff, a severe man who falls desperately in love with Catherine. The characters passion for one another transcends natural boundaries and captivates the reader from the first page. The dark and eerie elements of Wuthering Heights, such as obsession and revenge, make this classic a perfect October read.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Not only is Jane Eyre full of haunting settings and secretive characters, it tells the story of Jane’s development from an abused young girl into a strong and confident woman. Jane Eyre’s life is not an easy one, and she must navigate through many different hardships and complicated feelings to find herself. The complex characters, creepy backdrops, and emotional story all make Jane Eyre absolutely unputdownable.

Dracula by BRam Stoker

We all know and love the modern day vampires, such as Edward Cullen and Damon Salvatore. The classic story of 1897, while containing vampires, is much different than our heartthrobs today. Dracula is a terrifying tale of Count Dracula, a bloodthirsty vampire with a horrifying castle in search of his next victims. This book will have you sleeping with all of the lights on.

The death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy

Although technically a novella, Tolstoy’s work never disappoints. The esteemed writer has completed several different classic novels, and he wrote a perfect novella for the season. The Death of Ivan Ilych explores themes of mortality, the unpredictability of life, and justice all within a gothic setting. It is absolutely perfect for the mysterious moods of Halloween, and it deals with interesting topics with drawing you in with an intriguing plot line.

Marissa Gray is a freshman English major at Texas A&M University, and she dreams of pursuing law school after obtaining an undergraduate degree. She joined Her Campus in Fall of 2023 to foster her passion for writing and make genuine connections with all of the members. Beyond Her Campus, Marissa is involved in a sorority and a member of TAMU Paws that strives to support Aggieland's local animal shelters. In her free time, Marissa enjoys reading, listening to music, and watching various Netflix shows. Usually, you can find her in a library or hidden in the book stacks of Barnes & Nobles.