Sydney White / Amanda Bynes
Sydney White / Amanda Bynes
Universal Pictures

The Benefits of Rushing in Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Besides rom-com style relationships and absolutely wild parties, Greek life seems to be one of the top things sensationalized by college movies. In my experience at least, being in a sorority isn’t as crazy or cultlike as some media makes it seem. However, I think rush is the exception to this. As seen from the BAMA rush craze on TikTok, some parts of rush are extremely extra.

What some people don’t know, though, is that many schools offer Spring recruitment instead of just Fall! This process is less popular than rushing in the Fall, which means it’s slightly different. So, I’ve formed a list of what I think are the best benefits of joining Greek life in the Spring.

1. For many Schools, Spring Recruitment is less formal

Since Fall rush is so much more popular, there will most likely be fewer people rushing in the Spring. This offers opportunities for the sororities to connect with PNMs (potential new members) in a much more personal way. I know my sorority is hosting a series of events like coffee and an invitational dinner for some PNMs this semester, which they did not do in the Fall!

2. students can take fall to adjust

Some students, like freshmen or transfer students, might need the Fall semester to adjust to being at a new university. Since college should ultimately be about putting yourself and your education first, an extra semester might be needed before you want to join any cool activities, including Greek life.

3. Still get to experience the best parts of Greek Life!

Even if you rush in Spring, you still can be a part of some of the most exciting parts of Greek Life! These include Spring Formals, chapter activities, and meeting new friends! As someone who also did not do Fall rush, I don’t feel like I missed out on a lot from not doing it. However, some Greek chapters could be different!

If you are interested in rushing in the Spring, do some research to find out if your school offers it, then reach out to some Greek life communities you might be interested in!

Allison McGregor is a member of the Texas A&M University chapter of Her Campus. Even though most of her pieces are about personal experiences, she also updates on current events around CSTAT. Beyond Her Campus, Allison is an engineering student at TAMU. She hopes to major in chemical engineering and, she is a newly-inducted member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChe). Allison also has experience working at Chick-Fil-A. When she isn't writing articles for Her Campus, Allison is either listening to music (likely Taylor Swift or Fall Out Boy), writing poetry, or texting her family. Allison is a Navy brat who calls Chesapeake, Virginia home, and a lot of her unusual life experiences will find their way into her articles. She considers herself the second biggest fan of Coca-Cola, next to her mom. They're both kind of bummed that TAMU is a Pepsi campus.