Life > Experiences

That One Tradition: Why I Didn’t Dunk My Aggie Ring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

If you’re not already aware, one of the biggest achievements you can have as an Aggie is to receive your Aggie Ring. Although it is a physical recognition for completing 90 credit hours, it is a symbol that stands for so much more. It is personal goal for many students, and it serves as a recognizable feature for Aggies across the globe. Whether you’re in an airport or crossing the street, you’re almost always bound to run into another Aggie with a bright band of gold around their right ring finger.

For some students, receiving an Aggie Ring is a goal that is set once they start college. For lifetime Aggies, though, this starts the moment you are brainwashed into the traditions that give Texas A&M its “cult” status. My grandfather was Class of 1967 at Texas A&M, and he has never taken off his ring since the day he received it. While growing up, young Hannah couldn’t wait for the day that she could be given the same token of achievement that her grandfather also worked so hard to obtain.

And that day finally came a few weeks ago when I received my Class of 2025 Aggie Ring. It was the most perfect day, filled to the brim with smiles and laughs shared with family and friends. We ate yummy food, reminisced on old times, and shared our hopes and goals for the future.

Once getting your Aggie Ring, there is a common tradition that follows the ceremony. This tradition, often referred to as the “Ring Dunk,” is completed by Aggies every year. It entails filling a large pitcher full of beer (about 4 cans), dropping your ring into the pitcher, then chugging the beer until the pitcher is empty and only your ring remains. After that, Aggies will put their ring back on and cheer with their friends (and probably get pretty sick, too!).

I was one of the few Aggies in the world that chose not to dunk their ring. Why, you may ask?

From the moment I got into Texas A&M, I knew that I wanted to participate in all traditions. I wanted to go to Midnight Yell, Silver Taps, Muster, and everything there is in between. Yet, I also knew when receiving my acceptance letter that the “Ring Dunk” would be the one Aggie tradition I would not partake in.

I love being an Aggie with every bone in my body, yet this has always been the one thing I simply could not brainwash myself into doing. I believe it is great and fun for those who want to do it, but it can also leads to stress-inducing situations and peer pressure for those who aren’t sure. Chugging a pitcher full of any liquid isn’t exactly good for the human body, no matter what is in it. Similarly, the fact that it is simply “expected” that you dunk your Aggie Ring makes it an intimidating experience, and it could ultimately ruin the whole celebration of what the ring is about – an ACADEMIC ACCOMPLISHMENT.

I love my Aggie Ring, and I feel more in touch with the “Aggie Spirit” since sliding it onto my finger (yes, I know it’s cheesy but bear with me). Whether you want to dunk your Aggie Ring or not, it is a choice that is completely up to you. Don’t let some silly tradition dictate a day that is supposed to be about YOU and YOUR accomplishments. College is so hard, and your Aggie Ring is a way to commend you for all the hard work you have done thus far. Either way, you’re doing awesome, hun! We’re almost there!

Hannah Morris is the Public Relations Executive for the Her Campus at Texas A&M University chapter. She oversees the PR committee to ensure that each member meets their requirements for merchandise designs and press releases every semester. She also leads her team in dispersing products and brand samples to the rest of the chapter. Beyond Her Campus, Hannah is a junior at Texas A&M University, majoring in Political Science with minors in Journalism and Psychology. She works as a Student Assistant in TV and Digital Content at KAMU Broadcasting, where she assists at production shoots while also writing and creating content for KAMU Marketing and Communications. Hannah is also a freelance proofreader, with a proofreading and editing certification from the Proofread Anywhere training program. In her free time, Hannah enjoys spending time with her dog, Emmylou. She loves to go on new adventures, read fun books, or attend concerts with friends. She is a music and film connoisseur, and hopes to one day work in PR in either industry.