photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Thanksgiving Treats or Recycled Halloween Candy?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

With Halloween behind us and Thanksgiving to look forward to, one has two decisions to make; what to do with the leftover Halloween candy and what treat to make for the dessert table at Thanksgiving dinner.

A simple solution can be made by following this quick and easy Thanksgiving Turkeys recipe. It’s an innovative way to use extra Halloween candy and transform it into a tasty Thanksgiving treat.

Unfortunately when I made my turkeys they didn’t turn out as good looking as the picture presented. There was a frosting overload, one squeeze and my turkey was covered, never to be seen again.

Ingredients:                                                   

• 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips

• 36 candy corn candies (6 will be used for the white tips alone)

• 6 mini peanut butter cups

• 6 Hershey Whoppers

• 6 Oreo cookies

• 6 Oreo cookies with top of the cookie removed

• Red frosting

Directions:

1. Place the chocolate chips in a medium sized steel or glass bowl and set over a saucepan of boiling water. Stir for the duration of 4 minutes or until the chocolate has melted

2. To make the turkey feathers push 5 pieces of candy corn, tip-side down, into the cream filling of an Oreo cookie. Lay the Oreo down flat on a platter or tray with wax paper

3. Dip the flat, larger end of a peanut butter cup into the melted chocolate, allowing excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Place the peanut butter cup, chocolate-dipped end facing down, onto the Oreo cookie.

4. Take a Whopper and place it in the chocolate to get it sticky enough to put above the peanut butter cup. This is the head of the turkey

5. Dip the flat end of the white tip of the candy corn in the chocolate and place it on the whopper to make the turkey beak. Refrigerate until the chocolate has hardened and set.

6. Place the red frosting in a plastic Ziploc bag and cut a small hold at the end. Squeeze a small piece of frosting under the whopper to make the turkey’s beard.

7. Take an Oreo cookie with the top half removed on a platter or tray with wax paper. Stand your already made turkey upright on top of the cream filling. Repeat this for the remainder of your turkeys.

There you have it! A quick and easy Thanksgiving treat courtesy of your leftover Halloween candy!

Tai is a Senior Agricultural Communications and Journalism major at Texas A&M University. She is a free spirit whose first love is dance with writing as a close second. Tai is an aspiring traveling or broadcast journalist. After receiving her Bachelors degree this December she will be kicking off her New Year 2016 interning in Melbourne Australia.