Life > Academics

Texas A&M Program Gives Voice to Women of Color

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Courageous Conversations is a program under the Department of Multicultural Studies (DMS) at Texas A&M University designed to explore and respond to the voices and experiences of women of color.

Created in the spring of 2016, the program targets the wellness of women who identify as Black/African American, Latina/x, and/or Asian American/Asian Pacific Islander Desi American (APIDA). According to the Department of Multicultural Services’ Instagram, Courageous Conversations is designed to “positively impact experiences of undergraduate women of color through monthly engagement, conversation, fellowship, and food.”

Throughout the academic year, DMS hosts three Courageous Conversations sessions each month focused on topics and experiences surrounding women of color. Each session draws attention to one group: Latina/x Women, APIDA Women, or Black Women. Some Courageous Conversations sessions incorporate themes in the dialogue. For example, in October 2021, the theme was “Mental Health,” so each talk was designed to include discussions about mental health.

Courageous Conversations has Student Ambassador positions available for Texas A&M students who want to help facilitate session conversations. The Department of Multicultural Services’ Twitter says ambassadors “will also collaborate in themes, activities, and other women of color advocacy exercises.” Students interested in being ambassadors can fill out the interest form here.

Information about the Courageous Conversations sessions is announced via social media and on the DMS website. Sessions are free for students to attend. RSVP is required; the link can be found in the Department of Multicultural Services’ Instagram bio.

Howdy! My name is Sydnie Harrell, and I served as President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at TAMU for the 2022-2023 school year. Feel free to get in touch with me on social media.