Teen Heartthrobs Through the Ages

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Rudolph Valentino, 1920s

Rudolph Valentino was Hollywood’s first male sex symbol after he rose to fame through acting in short, silent films in the 1920’s. Women found him so attractive that thousands of them showed up to his funeral to weep at his grave. It must have been the “look” captured above that made him so captivating. Right? Some women found that “I’m about to eat you” glare really enticing, I guess.

Frank Sinatra, 1930s

The “original teen idol” that was Frank Sinatra paved the way for music artists like Justin Bieber easily with his golden voice. Before there were “beliebers,” there were “bobby soxers,” as Sinatra’s loyal and young female fans were labeled. That’s what beautiful blue eyes and a bright smile can get you. 

James Dean, 1950s

He was the symbol of sexy, cool, and calm on the big screen, but Dean was known to bend toward the disheveled look. He even showed up to rehearsals in pants held together at the seams with safety pins. Dean blazed a path as a “teen heartthrob” with his brooding looks, mysterious persona, and unruly hair. Let’s be real here; it’s all about the hair, sometimes.

John Travolta, 1970s

It must’ve been the romantic gesture in Grease (1978) of greaser turned jock to get the girl that caused this infatuation. Or the leather jacket. Definitely the leather jacket.

Mark Wahlberg, Early 1990s

Although you might not recognize him as former rapper “Marky Mark” you might know him today as the actor who has starred in hit films like Deepwater Horizon (2016), Lone Survivor (2013), and Ted (2012). Wahlberg stepped away from music in the early ’90s to model for Calvin Klein. Former Calvin Klein Senior VP Neil said that Wahlberg appealed to a large audience made up of “women, gay men, and men who wanted to be him.” Rapping. Modeling. Acting. He’s basically done it all.

Leonardo DiCaprio, 1990s

Titanic placed DiCaprio directly in the line of sight for adoring teenage girls. “Come back, Jack.” Don’t tell me you didn’t tear up.

Jesse McCartney, 2000s

You’re lying if you say that you don’t know the lyrics to “Beautiful Soul” word for word. Also, look at that peace sign…definitely 2004! He is certainly teen heartthrob material. Just look at those highlights.

Zac Efron, 2000s

Troy Bolton: a family kind of guy who breaks out in song. Case closed. High School Musical, released in 2006, caught the attention and hearts of female teens throughout the completion of the musical trilogy.

Taylor Lautner and Robert Pattinson, 2000s

The Twilight Saga, which was fueled by public fascination for good-looking vampires and werewolves, left fans parting from each other and asking the most important question: Are you Team Edward (Pattinson) or Team Jacob (Lautner)? From t-shirts to bed sheets to jewelry, it was hard to escape the obsession the public had with the Twilight boys.

Justin Bieber, 2000s

From “One Time” to “Baby” to his music today, his fan base remains following in his steps, whether they approve or disapprove of his past reckless behavior. They’re still adoring “Beliebers.” Maybe not Selena Gomez, though. Too far? Too far.

One Direction, 2010s

Pop group One Direction left fans swooning over their accents and good looks (from left, Louis Tomlinson, Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Zayn Malik, Harry Styles). Although they were a pop group before they disbanded to pursue solo careers, they incited wild reactions from their devoted fans at concerts. Lastly, the disbanding of One Direction leads us to our final heartthrob…

Zayn Malik, Today

What placed Malik on the radar as a heartthrob was the news that he chose to leave One Direction to pursue a solo career. His anticipated solo album revealed a darker, sexual side to him that he wasn’t allowed to show in the teen-focused band of One Direction. He has gone on to date supermodel Gigi Hadid, who stars in some of his racy music videos like “PILLOWTALK.” Once again, the “good boy gone bad” trend is what pushes a star from average celebrity to teen heartthrob. (Or maybe, yet again, it’s the great hair.)

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.