This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Coming into TAMU without any prior experience in any upper-level science classes was a change, and an unwelcome one. I was shocked to see upwards of 200 people in each of my classes, particularly difficult ones. Since starting college, there have been a few things that have helped me find the best way to learn and be successful.

The first thing I changed was my attitude towards class. I’ve never really been one to stay focused for the entirety of a lecture, but that proved necessary for every single class I was in, so I had to find a way. I started by keeping my phone in my bag for the whole class and making sure I had a snack and water. This helped me stay focused and reduced the chances of me needing to leave the room for food. I also kept better track of my assignments, so I wasn’t working on other assignments in the middle of another class. It just serves you better to focus when you need to.

I also had to adjust my home habits. In the dorms, it’s easier to walk to a quiet study space and be more focused. In a house, I didn’t want to drive to campus for a distraction-free space, which made it harder to study effectively. Setting time aside to study when I had the mental capacity to focus has made a world of difference in retaining information.

As for taking STEM-focused classes, memorization is a key element. To effectively understand and memorize something I write what I’m trying to memorize down and do practice problems that reflect the concept I need to know. Critical thinking is always something teachers mention, but I find it beneficial to my learning strategy.

College is a big adjustment for anyone, no matter the circumstance, but it’s doable. I’ve had a lot of failures trying to make my life and school work, but the best thing I can do is have a positive attitude and keep moving forward.

Erin Haggerty is a sophomore forensic science major and psychology minor at TAMU. She is a returning member of Her Campus for the spring semester. Outside of Her Campus, she works full-time at a local BBQ restaurant, C&J Barbeque as a shift lead, as well as being a full-time student. She’s worked at C&J's for around 3 years and has moved up the ranks since her start. Her campus is her only published writing experience, as she enjoys writing about her life, College Station, and researching about anything! Outside of school, she enjoys hanging out with friends, playing with her dogs, and cooking. She’s found great passion in cooking and baking, mainly through creating her recipes. Through work, she also gets the opportunity to work tailgates for Aggie Football season, and though it's grueling, she enjoys the spirit!