This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

The music industry is constantly shifting. Songs go viral and rocket new artists out of obscurity while scandals break and send beloved celebrities to the brink of disaster. To give some of those less-adored artists a helping hand, here’s some hardworking individuals seeking the spotlight!

The Avett Brothers

This North Carolinian rock band with decidedly bluegrass notes has been around since 2000, but only found a true following in 2009 with their album I and Love and You, and headlined for a Turnpike Troubadours concert in Dallas on February 25th, 2023! Their style ranges from pure, electric rock to soft, loving blues and bouncy, hectic alternative. There’s something in the mix for just about anyone!

The Decemberists

An alternative Oregonian band, The Decemberists‘ first album came out way back in 2003, and their style changes with each album! One of their most notable fans is beloved Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda, who sent them a scrapped song to perform in 2017, titled Ben Franklin’s Song. Their song Sucker’s Prayer was featured in the 2021 film The Suicide Squad, as well as other songs by up-and-coming artists like K.Flay’s Can’t Sleep!

Brandi Carlile

Born in Washington to a country-singing mother, Carlile’s music has a very down-to-earth, modernized country vibe. She also performs in The Highwomen, comprised of herself, Amanda Shires, Natalie Hemby, and Maren Morris! She’s been performing since 2004 with twins Phil and Tim Hanseroth, and their best-known songs are The Story and The Mother, regarding her wife and their experiences with her first daughter, Evangeline.

Leon Bridges

An R&B singer performing since 2015, Bridges’ most well-known song is a partnered edition of July with Noah Cyrus! His original song River also featured in the critically-acclaimed show Lovecraft Country at one of its most heart-wrenching moments. His latest album, Gold-Diggers Sound, is a mesmerizing exploration of modern music, expanding on the genre with honey-smooth vocals and the incorporation of untraditional string instruments.

Troye Sivan

Sivan clocks in as the one pop singer on this list! This Australian singer from Perth debuted in 2007, and his 2018 song Dance to This features Ariana Grande. His only radio hit in America is I’m So Tired… and is a partnered performance with Lauv. Sivan is, most likely, the most well-known artist in the list, despite being halfway across the world. He also joins Carlile as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, and speaks openly about it in his music and hilarious social media posts!

Aspiring artists and creators face an incredible uphill battle, getting their names out to the public and maintaining enough popularity to get by. The celebrities that become household names are the lucky few, and the rest of the hopeful souls offering beautiful music for our enjoyment deserve some love!

I am an Environmental Crop and Soil Sciences major at Texas A&M. I’ve been inducted as a member of the National Society of Leadership and Success, the American Society of Agronomy, and the Students of Agronomy, Soil, and Environmental Sciences, and I hold an officer position in the Texas A&M Agronomy Society. For much of my life, I've been a creative writer, both in the sense of poetry and short stories. I keep up-to-date on news, both local and abroad, and highly enjoy discussions about it. I joined Her Campus at TAMU in Spring, 2022, and am thrilled to be back!