This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

For years now, I’ve been a red-nail girl. I’ve tried to steer away from it and explore new colors, but I always end up going back to my beloved dark red nails. I feel more put together, more elegant, and more grown up. This color has such a grasp on me and my friends that it has come to a point where we all wear the same color at the same time, every single day. Those who aren’t wearing red nails are slowly coming over to the dark side; well, the dark red nail side. Some may be more blood-colored, others more dark fuchsia, but they all come down to the same primary color: RED.

Recently, I heard about the “red nail theory” and how it’s supposed to attract men. I don’t know all the details about it, but it’s supposed to be some psychological phenomenon that attracts men to the color red. This may be why the color red is so popular in the media (the elegant red dress or the classic red lip); because it could be seen as an embodiment of passion and romance. I also heard that it could be because it seems vintage since women used to wear red nails a lot in the 90s. That, in a hopefully subconscious way, reminds them of their mothers in the 90s wearing red nails. I’m not sure how much of this theory is true, but I do feel more empowered and confident with my red nails, so maybe it’s that boosted confidence that makes men more attracted to women with red nails.

White nails, on the other hand (pun intended), I have never worn in my entire life. I believe they can be very elegant and classy, but as I said, I always see myself turning to red nails. I like the look of white nails in the summer paired with the perfect tan and a cute pair of sandals. Apparently a “white nail theory” exists as well. The intention of it is not to attract men, but to announce that a woman is single. White has always represented purity and innocence, qualities a single woman may be trying to project. Even more than representing singlehood, white nails are said to represent availability (which is very different than just being single).

After reflecting on what these two nail colors mean, I’ve come to a conclusion on what I think women who wear these colors are trying to convey. Maybe women who wear red nails are looking for something more casual, or more full of passion instead of a serious relationship. And since women with white nails are highlighting their availability through that color, they may be looking for something more serious, looking to settle down and find their partner for life. These are just my perceptions of these two theories, not necessarily from experience but from what I believe each color means. All I know for sure is that I will happily continue wearing my red nails, whether it is to attract men or not, just because I am in love with how I feel when they’re painted in a dark crimson tone.

Ana Applewhite is a member of the Her Campus TAMU chapter and is currently exploring her interests as a writer. She is passionate about digital media and finding the best way to communicate exciting experiences. Beyond Her Campus, Ana is the VP of Administration for the Aggie Advertising Club and the Recruitment and Events Director for the Venezuelan Student Association. She is pursuing a degree in Marketing which is her absolute favorite thing in the world, and every time she learns something new about it, she falls in love with her career a little bit more.