This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

I hope that I am not the only one struggling with being an adult.

For most of my life, my parents have always had an opinion on everything I do (like everything). I needed to have their approval before I felt confident with my choice, and this has caused a lot of issues.

Right now, I am trying to map out the life I want. And my parents are having a hard time letting go. There are not a lot of examples that I could look at in my family because I am one of the oldest. I am also doing a lot of things they weren’t able to do, including going to college.

I want to keep a good relationship with my family. But I feel like they are overbearing and critical of everything I do. Did I let this happen? And what am I supposed to do now?

I have a lot of friends telling me to make choices that I think are the best for myself. However, an overwhelming sense of dread and guilt holds me back. They raised a good person. And for that, I am so thankful. All I am asking now is that they trust me and allow me to be my own person. Is this too much to ask?

I'm Gabby - Events Director of Her Campus TAMU. I'm part of the class of 2023, majoring in Telecommunication Media Studies (with a minor in Film). I am dreaming of traveling the world, making movies, and reading books.