This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Call me old-fashioned, but today I feel that classy young women are hard to come by. As little girls grow up into teenagers, all they want is to feel accepted and be popular. Everything becomes an issue. Their weight, what they are wearing, who their friends are, and who they are dating. All to please other people. Although this is normal as a part of growing up, there are some things that I continue to see as a problem for young women in society today. When it comes to relationships, women are not demanding for respect. We let men walk all over us and use us and we do nothing about it because all we want is to feel wanted. I partially think social media doesn’t help with this. Girls post pictures of themselves in a revealing outfits and because they get hundreds of likes on that picture, they feel that’s the way they are suppose to look to the world. Because of this we start attracting the wrong type of men. And it’s a continuous cycle that only leads to broken hearts and unhappiness. It’s time for women to stand up and say this is not okay. It’s time for us to look in the mirror and figure out what makes us happy and what we want from a man and find it. It all starts with your own self-esteem. As young ladies we need to bring each other up and lift each other to be positive and successful strong women. We need to show men what we expect and that they can’t just walk all over us. By doing this we are changing young men. Them knowing they have to treat us with respect will turn them into young gentlemen. It starts now and it starts within. Do what makes you happy and don’t look to anyone else to determine what you should be doing.