This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Sequined outfits, glam eye makeup, and glitter galore. In the past few years, being an it-girl meant staying in wearing your best silk pajamas and reading a good book. Now girls all around are taking a new approach to what it means to fully live life. Women are setting the standard for what’s in and the party scene seems to be making a comeback. Being a party girl has gained a whole new meaning and it’s more iconic than ever.

It Girl Redefined

TikTok has held a heavy influence amongst what is trendy for years now but with the COVID-19 pandemic and the rise of influencers, staying in became something trendy and romanticized to the next level. Comfort was brought to users knowing that staying in did not have to be as dreadful as it first seemed. Suddenly everyone was on board for trying to perfect a laid-back lifestyle through curating peaceful spaces and nighttime routines. Becoming the ultimate clean girl was at the top of most people’s bucket lists. However, as lockdowns were lifted and life slowly returned to normal so did the nightlife scene.

Along with that, the influencing scene shifted as well. TikToker Alix Earle won the internet’s heart by showing people it’s okay to not live the perfect clean girl life of having flawless hair and makeup and wearing athleisure. Alix did not shy away from being real about how messy life can be as a college student, giving TikTok users a glimpse of partying culture while she attended the University of Miami in Florida. As her popularity grew, users on TikTok started loving a new aesthetic: the messy girl. The messy girl is less demanding compared to the clean girl aesthetic. As college students, balancing a perfect lifestyle with school, extracurriculars, and work can be hard. With her strong influence, Earle continues to set what it means to be an It Girl by sharing her experiences through Get Ready With Me videos, fun and daring outfits, and flourishing as the party girl of our generation.

The 20-year trend cycle

What is the 20-year trend cycle? According to Vogue, fashion trends are recycled every 20 years from when they initially appear. It was seen in the late 90s when 70s indie rock fashion made a comeback, and now Y2K is back in full swing. The 2000s were filled with bold fashion choices, jeans under skirts and frosty eyeshadow were sported on all sorts of red carpets. The original party girls who dominated tabloids pioneered these looks and trendsetters are taking notes. Influencer Aliyah Bah, known as Aliyah’s Interlude on her platforms, is another It girl who has contributed to the revival of Y2K through outfits that are heavily inspired by the fashion worn in this era. The music she produces reflects her fashion, having an early 2000s club vibe with an upbeat sound that can easily be thrown into any DJ mix. As trends make comebacks the lifestyles that coincide with them make a comeback. Early 2000s club culture is romanticized with edits of Paris Hilton and the Jersey Shore cast flooding the For You pages of many TikTok users. The revival of unique and flashy Y2K fashion allows people to express themselves by embracing a lifestyle that encourages being unapologetically messy and wild.

is it Escapism?

As mentioned before, the COVID-19 pandemic left people feeling restless once life had reached a sense of normalcy again. Many felt as if the pandemic robbed them of several years of youth that they couldn’t get back. Coupled with the fact that being quarantined put a new level of stress and loneliness on several people’s mental health, going out has turned into a form of escapism where people can make up for that lost time. Most people agree that the media we consume and share influences our identity. People have chosen to bury any reminders of the pandemic beneath them and talk of the pandemic is not so prevalent on social media anymore. With that posts emphasizing the importance of going out because you’re only hot and young once have gained popularity.

Adulthood in general is also a tough transition to go through. As college-age women figure out how to navigate this new step in their lives, many have turned to the popular I’m just a girl mentality to ground themselves when life seems too much. Memes about being a 20-something-year-old teenage girl have become wildly popular, serving as reminders that life is meant to be filled with mistakes and fun experiences. Being just a girl is a mindset that fits all types of personalities, from people who love living a slower life to those who love sharing their wild experiences online. The popularity behind being just a girl has closed the gap between the two sides of the spectrum as anything done through girlhood is encouraged. Several women have also expressed how Gen Z girls don’t go out enough, sharing how if it were up to them, they would have gone out more while they had the time and energy to do so freely. College girls are being encouraged to slow down when it comes to growing up and I’m here for it.

Best of both worlds

I cannot say that I’m on one side or another. There are nights when I feel like dancing with my closest girlfriends is what I really need to bring some fun into my life, but there are also nights where staying in seems to be the only thing I can handle. I can confidently say though that nothing compares to the memories I have made going out. Having the privilege to be able to go out is something that doesn’t last long for most. I can find joy in post-bar pizza and waking up in last night’s makeup, but I also see the joy in doing a facemask and calling it a night early. The best thing young women can do is find the balance between the two. Have fun and be safe while doing it, but also know your limits to avoid social burnout.

Brianna Torres Adame is an active member of the Her Campus at TAMU chapter, working with public relations and the writing/editing committee. She produces lifestyle content, as well as covering a broad range of topics such as the fashion industry, sustainability, and current events in the College Station/Bryan area. Brianna is a junior at Texas A&M University studying Communications with a certificate in Social Media. Just recently transferring in, she is hoping to further experience in PR and writing roles as she continues her time at TAMU. Beyond Her Campus, she is a part of TAMU PRISM, an organization focused on boosting skills in public relations, influencing, and social media, and TAMU HEAT, an organization that does volunteer work for the community, environment, and animals. In the future, she aspires to mix fashion and sustainability into a career, since those are the two topics she's most passionate about. Creativity is what drives Brianna. She can romanticize almost everything she does but her favorite hobbies are writing, making art, and keeping up with the latest trends in fashion. If you ever need a dance buddy you can count on her to make the most of your Latin Nights at Northgate.