Life > Experiences

Northgate Bar Guide: Advice from a Texas A&M Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Looking to go out to Northgate with your friends but don’t know where to start? Let me serve as your friendly senior guide! I’ll share all the knowledge I’ve accumulated over the past for years about all the different bars located here in College Station.

Logies: Looking to buy a round of cheap shots? Look no further than Logies. Although 21+, the bar serves delicious shots such as the White Gummy Bear shot, Ocean Water shot, and their most favorite shot of all, the Unicorn Cum shot. They get +5 points for having a punching bag machine. Test your hand at breaking the current record!

Mama Sakes: Everyone has to try a sake bomb at least ONCE in their college career. Go to Mama Sakes and get served up a sake bomb where you bang on the table and start chugging, praying you aren’t the slowest of your friends to finish. This spot is also 21+!

Shiner Park:  This would rank practically second to last on my list. It has the notorious nickname “Minor Park” for a reason as most of the underclassmen flock to this spot. They play a combination of rap and country, so the vibes are weird. As a senior, I stay away from here at all costs.

Icon: When I was a freshman, this was my spot. I won’t lie. They have cages to dance in and after a few drinks, you may find yourself in them. We’ve all been there! I’ve been more recently for a few bar tabs, and it is just not as good in my opinion. Maybe I’m just getting older or the crowd has changed, but this is not a favorite of mine.

The Backyard:  The Backyard is my baby. Although the lines can be enough to make anyone mad, the music is usually decent, and the crowd is good too. The cranberry vodkas are also great! To top it all off, once you’re done dancing, the taco trucks there are ready to feed you, and they are delicious! Shout out Beef and Reef!

Social/Foundies: I went last year for a birthday party, and the ratio was incredibly off. My friends and I were surrounded by men all night who wouldn’t leave us alone. If one girl said no to them, they’d move to the next one. Never going back.

The Spot: This place has some great 48 oz drinks to share with your friends when you go out! They taste so sweet that it feels like I’m drinking juice! I love sitting outdoors on the wooden tables and chatting with my friends. They also now house Yoyo’s Hotdogs, and this has to be one of the best hot dogs I’ve ever had!

Dixie Chicken: I consider this the resting spot for when my friends and I go out. It’s time for everyone to regroup, meet back up together, grab some food (and a pitcher or two). Not bad but not great, however I have some guy friends who swear by it!

Rebel House: The AMF is good here. Otherwise, you won’t catch me here, not for me. 

Dry Bean: In need of a quick shot stop, this is your place. The shots here are moderately priced and have unique names, most of which are so explicit I can’t write them. Don’t be prepared to stay, though, as the small bar has no tables. Take your shot and go!

Tipsy Turtle: You will only need to stop here if you enjoy pickle shots. If not, this is not for you!

Last but not least, my favorite bar of them all.

O’Bannons: Now this, this is my #1 spot. I would shout it from the rooftops. 21+, I feel very at home with a bit of an older crowd, no freshmen. The drinks are always good, with my typical vodka cran, amaretto sour, or mint chocolate chip martini being top notch. I love the ambiance as well. This is typically the first place all my friends and I go when we’re starting out the night.

Howdy! I'm Anyssa Perez, a senior marketing major from Houston, Texas! I love writing in my free time and am so excited to get to write as a part of HerCampus!