This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

It’s January 20th, the 3rd week of the year, and I have officially read 3 books so far: 

Autobiography of Red By Anne Carson

5/5 ; Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/61049.Autobiography_of_Red?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=E0uXIDSkWt&rank=1

It’s a quick read; I consumed it in a day.  This story is a reimagined tale of an ancient Greek myth written in a poetry format.  The story told of Geryon and Herakles is poignant and lovely; it leaves the reader with a desire to know more regardless of the tears trailing down their face.  I highly recommend this book as it has been my favorite read of the year. 

The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar

3.8/5 ; Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/218357.The_Space_Between_Us

It kept me captivated, but it didn’t leave me wanting more.  This story is about a servant in India whose granddaughter has fallen pregnant.  The drama that unfolds will keep the reader wanting to know more.  For me, I was somewhat satisfied by the ending; it was a decent read but not my favorite.

Beasts of a Little Land By Juhea Kim

4.4/5 ; Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57151981-beasts-of-a-little-land

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book; there were parts that made me desperate for a different ending and parts that I felt gratified by.  The story starts in 1917 and ends in 1956, following different characters as they live their lives in a Japanese-occupied Korea.  But not everyone will have a happy ending…

Howdy! I’m Gabriela Gomez, an avid reader who is interested in all areas of publishing and writing. And reading of course! I’m the Editor-in-Chief; I currently oversee all the publishing of articles for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter. I am overjoyed to read all the members’ articles and make any corrections that will help to elevate the article. I have been with Her Campus at TAMU since my freshman year. The first year I was a general member on the Writing and Editing committee. During that first year, I wrote a total of 23 articles and was always finding new ways to help. For my second year, I worked as the Senior Editor, publishing more than 80 articles and writing 38 articles. Now in my second semester of junior year, I have implemented a new pitch process for better organization and cleanest, I have already published more than 170 articles, and I have written 16 articles and will continue writing more! Besides working as the Editor-in-Chief, I am a dedicated student at Texas A&M studying Biomedical Sciences. I am also obtaining a minor in both English and Spanish. While not studying diligently, I work in a research lab grinding away, trying to get my name on some research papers (fingers crossed). In my free time, I read, obviously. I am also on the hunt for the best latte to ever bless this earth and love a good game of chess!