This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

As soon as my finger clicks that final submit button of the semester, I am opening the closest book next to me and getting through a chunk of my “To Be Read” (TBR for those who frequently scroll on TikTok) list. Now while I’ll be re-reading some of my childhood favorites, there are MANY that I can’t wait to experience for the first time. Here’s a peek at what books I plan on reading for the upcoming summer vacation!

1. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

I have known about this book since I was about 12 and I am determined to experience it for the first time this summer. Dubbed a classic because of Hosseini’s storytelling, I’ve had multiple people tell me it is the most gut-wrenching, life-changing book they’ve ever read. The story takes us into the life of Mariam, a teenage girl forced into marriage, and Laila, brought into Mariam’s house 20 years later during a period of unrest in the country. We then follow the progression of their relationship as mother & daughter and friends. If this is as heartbreaking as people say it is and you see me crying in a coffee shop while reading this, know that I will be giving it 5 stars on Goodreads.

2. The Goldfinch by Donna Tart

As someone who enjoyed “Secret History” by Tartt, this Pulitzer Prize-winning book has been on my radar for a while now. So much so, that’s just been sitting on my bookshelf for a year now waiting for me to take a crack at it. Our main character Theo survives a traumatic accident and is taken in by his friend’s family. Over time, his life changes course by getting involved with the criminal underworld after becoming interested in a certain painting. I know no information other than the blurb on Goodreads, so I’m in for a real surprise. Fingers crossed I like this one!

3. Once Upon a Broken Heart by Stephanie Garber

You got me… I love a good fantasy romance book, okay? This *current* duology is the sequel series to Garber’s “Caraval” series and I’m hoping to enjoy it more than its predecessor. Evangeline is a hopeless romantic (right on girl!) who finds out that the love of her life is marrying someone else. In exchange for help, she strikes an irreversible deal with the Prince of Hearts – 3 kisses whenever and wherever he chooses. Seems pretty simple right? WRONG – there’s only one way for this story to end and that is in tragedy. The fanart I’ve seen on TikTok showed me that I’m in for a rollercoaster and I am so ready to be strapped in!

4. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

I have one end goal for this summer really: read more classics. The Brontë Sisters have been on my radar for years now and maybe now I’ll have the attention span for them. Jane Eyre takes place in late 18th and early 19th century England where the titular character suffers a tragic upbringing that leads her to Thornfield Hall. Here she is hired by the hermit Edward Fairfax to care for Adèle, his ward. Yet there’s something mysterious hiding in Thornfield Hall that may leave Jane broken in more ways than one. Do I know how this book ends? Yes, I read the summary when I was in the 8th grade. But I want to read Brontë’s writing style and see if it’s for me. Let’s see how this goes…

5. The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde

Sometimes I think I can hear this book laughing at me because I’ve only gotten through half the book in the 6+ months it’s been since I started it. Wilde writes Dorian Grey as a narcissistic young man who becomes obsessed with vanity and sells his soul for everlasting youth. As he begins to indulge in amoral behaviors, his self-portrait painting will start to reflect his true nature and the consequences of his sins. I swear I will finish this book from beginning to end this summer, even if I have to stay up all night for it. Also, it will add to my classics total that I mentioned earlier.

Shree is general article writer at the Her Campus at Texas A&M chapter. She enjoys writing articles about books, television, and other topics that she thinks the student population will find interesting. Outside of the Her Campus part of her life, she is a part of the Association of Former Students, Texas A&M's alumni center, where she participants in events that the non-profit puts on. She also volunteers around the Bryan/ College Station area in ways that give back to the community Shree is currently a senior at Texas A&M University, where she majors in Community Health with a minor in Business. When she is not wondering about what she wants to do after college, she enjoys to watch movies (the romantic comedy genre almost exclusively), scroll an excessive amount on TikTok, and read books. Her staple genres to read are romance, dark academia, classics, and secret society.