Meet Battalion Reporter, Katie Canales!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Howdy! Meet freshman Katie Canales! She is an aspiring journalist and currently writes for the lifestyles section of TAMU’s newspaper, The Battalion.

HC: What’s your major?

KC: My major is communication

HC: Why did you pick your major?

KC: I wanted to get into journalism and Comm was a good way to do that because the journalism major wasn’t being offered so I took the next best thing.

HC: What do you hope to do after graduation?

KC: I hope to actually be a journalist. I want to write for a newspaper. I’m beginning to learn about more options that I could have with my major and see more doors open in case I don’t get a job with a newspaper, like a magazine or technical writing.

HC: What’s your favorite article you’ve written at The Batt?

KC: I wrote one, my third or fourth story about MSC OPAS’s Romeo and Juliet. I did some research and talked to a Shakespeare professor and she was very knowledgeable about him and I learned the whole backstory and themes I never thought about and I incorporated all of that into the story. I talked to a student from Florida who did ballet and learned how hard it is to portray a story through a dance. That made my desire to be journalist more concrete.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about working at The Batt?

KC: My favorite thing about working at The Batt that I never really found my niche in high school so it’s really neat to be passionate about it [journalism] and be decent at it. So I have both of those things going for me. I’m really good at what I love to do.

HC: If you could be one Disney character who would it be, and why?

KC: The only thing that comes to mind is Belle. I can relate to her because she is completely happy being surrounded by books. I think Beauty and the Beast’s message is a little different than the other Disney movies, too because it’s not always about what’s on the outside.

HC: What’s your favorite travel destination that you have been to or would like to go to?  

KC: I went to Italy and it was absolutely beautiful. I loved it. It was really neat to see how a completely different culture operated, dressed, and talked to each other.

HC: Where is your dream job?

KC: Definitely New York. Somewhere in New York, working for the New York Times.

Erum Salam is a student at Texas A&M and an aspiring writer and producer. Her vast experience in television, radio, and print has prepared her for the rapidly converging career path she wants to pursue. She aims to write and produce content that will educate and entertain a global audience. She believes Her Campus offers young women a platform to vocalize their thoughts on contemporary issues facing us today, while also providing hilarious content in the form of listicles, blog posts, or quizzes that surely resonates with the female millennial demographic.