This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

“Mawwiage” the impressive clergyman once said as he presided over Prince Humperdinck and Buttercup’s wedding.

Is a “bwessed awangement”

“A dweam within a dweam” 

.

It is also a cultural ideal that is force-fed down girl’s throats.

Girls are encouraged to fantasize about the special day.

While boys can sneer at the idea,

It is unnatural for a girl to share the same sentiment.

.

a google search of “woman definition”

lists wife as the seventh synonym. 

a google search of “man definition”

does not bring forth the same results.

.

Esposa

–the word for wife in spanish–

is also the word for shackles.

Marriage and imprisonment.

.

I don’t want to be someone’s wife

If it means I’m relegated to the house

Forced to take sole care of the children

While my husband can choose when to babysit.

.

I want the option

To choose marriage

If I want it

Or to grow old as a ‘spinster’ without judgment.

.

Marriage. 

It is a symbolic and legal act, 

based upon love and mutual respect,

That ties two parties together.

.

It is not a light matter

That requires little thought.

And it should not be my sole aspiration as a woman.

Howdy! I’m Gabriela Gomez, an avid reader who is interested in all areas of publishing and writing. And reading of course! I’m the Editor-in-Chief; I currently oversee all the publishing of articles for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter. I am overjoyed to read all the members’ articles and make any corrections that will help to elevate the article. I have been with Her Campus at TAMU since my freshman year. The first year I was a general member on the Writing and Editing committee. During that first year, I wrote a total of 23 articles and was always finding new ways to help. For my second year, I worked as the Senior Editor, publishing more than 80 articles and writing 38 articles. Now in my second semester of junior year, I have implemented a new pitch process for better organization and cleanest, I have already published more than 170 articles, and I have written 16 articles and will continue writing more! Besides working as the Editor-in-Chief, I am a dedicated student at Texas A&M studying Biomedical Sciences. I am also obtaining a minor in both English and Spanish. While not studying diligently, I work in a research lab grinding away, trying to get my name on some research papers (fingers crossed). In my free time, I read, obviously. I am also on the hunt for the best latte to ever bless this earth and love a good game of chess!