Image of Marina Grande in Sorrento, Italy taken from Sant\'Anna Institute
Photo by Ana Applewhite

Life in Sorrento: My First Two Weeks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

From pizza and pasta every other day to breath-taking views of the Mediterranean, the first two weeks of my semester abroad have flown by. With how much I’ve done these days, it feels like I’ve been living here for a month. I’ve learned a lot about myself and my surroundings, learned to appreciate the opportunities I’m given, and have already met people I know will continue to be in my life for years to come. For now, I’ll go into some of the big things that have impacted my time here so far.

views

I fall in love with this city every single day, no matter the weather or the fact that it’s the off-season. Sorrento has a certain magic to it that people would tell me about but I couldn’t quite understand it until I set foot in Piazza Tasso, took a stroll down Corso Italia, or admired the Bay of Naples on my way to school. That walk to Sant’Anna Institute is probably my favorite moment of my day-to-day life. When the sun is out and we have clear skies, I have the privilege of seeing Mt. Vesuvius in all its splendor as I walk to my classes. Not only does the city look like it’s straight out of a movie, but it’s been truly special to see it flourish into the tourist season. Sorrento “shuts-down” from January till March, however some places start opening up earlier. Since we’re in the midst of the off-season, getting to know the city as locals without the waves of tourists has been a remarkable experience.

Image of Corso Italia, the main street in Sorrento, Italy
Photo by Ana Applewhite

classes

I can confidently say that I got very lucky with the way my classes worked out for this semester. Not only are they very interesting, but fortunately they all smoothly transfer to my TAMU transcript and some even fulfill degree requirements, which is something not everyone gets to say. I’m taking Cross-Cultural Psychology (for my minor), History of Art from Ancient Greece to the Italian Renaissance (as a Creative Arts Requirement), an Italian Intensive course, and my favorite, History and Culture of Italian Food for a total of 15 credits. The professors are all locals from Sorrento and the surrounding towns, true Italians who are passionate about sharing their knowledge with us foreigners. I’ve discovered that they are the best source for recommendations and that they are genuinely interested in getting to know us students. I’m very happy to be learning what I am at school, aside from everything else I’m taking in during my time here.

travel

I haven’t *actually* travelled so much yet, but I have trips planned for just about every weekend for the next four months. Sorrento is not as connected to the rest of Europe as the bigger cities like Naples or Rome are, but it’s still pretty accessible if tickets are booked with time. Getting to Naples is very easy, and once there, the sky is the limit. Fortunately, the Campania region of Italy (where Sorrento is located) has many beautiful sights to see, including Capri, the Amalfi Coast, Positano, Ischia, and Procida. My plan is to spend the entire month of April here in Sorrento to explore Campania once the weather picks up and the towns become livelier. Because of this, I’ll be spending most of February and March away from Sorrento. Most of my travel will be by train within Italy, which is actually pretty inexpensive compared to the US. As the semester goes by, I will continue to share my travel experiences and tips.

food

One of the main reasons I came to Italy is because of the amazing food I can try in every corner of the country. Learning that there is no such thing as “Italian Food” has been both shocking and so enriching at the same time. People from Italy view food according to the region, or even the city it comes from. According to my History of Food professor, pizza is only good in Naples, everywhere else, it’s trash. If you try cannoli in the north, you won’t be eating cannoli. But if you go to Sicily, you’ll understand why it’s called Sicilian Cannoli. This is the case with almost every dish we think of when “Italian food” comes to mind, so trying the actual local dishes throughout Italy is an experience I know will mark my life for ever. In all honesty, with every pasta dish I eat, I know my 12-year-old self, who was pathologically addicted to any kind of pasta, is actually feeling so fulfilled. So far, the best things I’ve tried are the Mozzarella Di Bufala and the Pizza e Portafoglio in Naples, and the Gnocchi Alla Sorrentina here in Sorrento.

Image of Gnocchi Alla Sorrentina, traditional dish in Sorrento, Italy
Photo by Ana Applewhite

people

I’ve gotten to live two very different cultural experiences so far while in Sorrento. The first obviously being living in a small city in Italy, getting to know the locals and their culture, and fortunately being welcome to this country with kindness and joy. The second, however, has been interacting with so many Americans every single day. It sounds quite contradictory, but when I’m in Texas, I spend most of my time with latinos and don’t really have that many close American friends. Here I’ve discovered how nationality is just something else we may have as a difference, but it doesn’t separate me from my classmates. I’ve met some amazing people who have taught me so much and with whom I’ve connected in ways I didn’t think I was capable of. It’s been very refreshing and challenging (in a great way) to leave my comfort zone as much as I have. I can only hope that it keeps getting better and that I keep forming stronger connections with my new friends.

All in all, with hardships included, these past weeks have been absolutely magical and unbelievable. I didn’t think I’d be saying this so early in the semester, but I am definitely where I need to be at the perfect time in my life. Sorrento has welcomed me in a way I will forever be thankful for, and I can’t wait what these months I have left will bring. Ciao for now!

Ana Applewhite is a member of the Her Campus TAMU chapter and is currently exploring her interests as a writer. She is passionate about digital media and finding the best way to communicate exciting experiences. Beyond Her Campus, Ana is the VP of Administration for the Aggie Advertising Club and the Recruitment and Events Director for the Venezuelan Student Association. She is pursuing a degree in Marketing which is her absolute favorite thing in the world, and every time she learns something new about it, she falls in love with her career a little bit more.