It’s 2024: Tips to Stay Consistent with those New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

2024! The new numbers we’ll be spending all of January through March (and honestly into April) getting used to as we start off a new calendar year. It’s now the time we start to glance over that seemingly unending list of resolutions on our notes apps and journals, excited to start a new chapter. But let’s be honest – it’s easy to picture ourselves succeeding when our spirits are high. How often do we actually keep up with our goals after that first fleeting week of euphoria and newfound motivation?

Whether you’re aiming to learn how to code, better manage your finances, or become more in tune with your mental health, consistency is key, and while you’ve probably heard this one too many times in your life, it’s possibly the most important and also most challenging component to mastering any new skill. With this in mind, if you’re looking for ways to help catapult your goals into action, I encourage you to continue reading in hopes that you’ll find something to help you stay consistent and on track this year.

• Vlog
    • Sometimes, visually seeing yourself implement, struggle, and and adapt to changes gives you a better perspective and serves as a method of gaining constructive feedback; it can also contribute to feelings of fulfillment and gratification when you observe improvement. 
  • Journal
    • Similarly, journaling after starting a new habit, whether it be a two-sentence reflection on how you felt or adjustments you feel you can make, can greatly enhance your discipline and allow you to harness a growth mindset.
  • Reward Yourself
    • Like any goal or milestone you aim to achieve or pass in your life, setting small rewards at each stage can motivate you especially during those inevitable plateaus and demoralizing dips in your progress; having something to look forward to can revitalize a sense a ambition – even if it feels fleeting, if it allows you to overcome that hurdle, it’s getting the job done.
  • Secure an “Accountability Partner”
    • Having someone to keep you in check throughout this process is another way to make sure you stay on the right track; while this individual may not be pursuing the same goal, knowing that they are aware of your progress can allow you to develop a subconscious desire to impress and become your most productive and successful self (but don’t let it get too out of hand – human psychology is weird).

Finally, make peace with the fact that burnout and frustration are inescapable with any great pursuit you set out to achieve, so being able to accommodate this is vital. At the end of the day, being kind to yourself throughout this process is one of the healthiest ways to combat such exhaustion – something as simple as positive self talk is incredibly transformative and might be all you need in that moment, so give it a shot and see how little habits can help you accomplish your 2024 New Year’s resolutions!

Sarayu Malireddy is a writer for the Her Campus chapter of Texas A&M University. In addition to reviewing books, film, and other entertainment, she dedicates the majority of her pieces to detailing personal and academic experiences. She looks forward to using her writing to capture often-overlooked stories and to highlight marginalized voices within her campus network and local community. Outside of her experience with Her Campus, Sarayu serves as a leading officer of a community service organization and volunteers as a crisis counselor with Crisis Text Line. An avid wellness advocate, she recently joined Mental Health Collaborative, a nonprofit, to help with marketing and outreach in efforts to destigmatize and improve access to essential mental health care. She has also conducted research in various scientific disciplines, and after receiving a Bachelor of Science in Genetics from TAMU, Sarayu hopes to continue this passion and contribute to advancements in the field of medicine both in professional school and beyond. When she's not browsing for thrillers and 90s rom-coms on Netflix with her roommates, she's probably downing green tea or espresso shots or trying to make the perfect omelet. She adores blasting classical music during almost any solo car ride and is always ready for a quick game of table tennis... or normal tennis.