How to Make the Most Out of Summer Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

As summer break quickly approaches, it can get overwhelming to try and think about what you should do with all this time on your hands. There are no more last minute assignments, exams, or essays holding you back from doing what you really want to do. This makes summer the perfect time to do some self discovery and learn more about what you enjoy!

Get a summer job

At some point in the semester, we were all low on money and wished we had some extra cash for the weekend. Well, summer is the best time to make some extra money for the next school year. There are lots of places that hire over the summer, and you get to gain some great experience!

volunteer

If you don’t want to commit to a job, but you still want to gain some experience, volunteering at a local place is perfect. Your local pet shelters, parks, or libraries will love to have some extra help over the hot, summer months. I have to say that I have gained some amazing experiences by volunteering. If you end up not liking the volunteer location, you can always volunteer at another place!

catch up on your reading

The school year does not leave much time for any personal reading. If you have a long TBR list, then I’d highly recommend reading and maybe even checking out your local library for new books! With the sweltering weather summer usually brings, reading is the perfect pastime. You can read at the beach, park, or a poolside. However, if you’re anything like me, reading indoors is the best place to be.

try a new exercise regiment

If you’re getting tired of having the same exercise routine or you want to start your workout journey, summer is the perfect time to do so. I personally want to start biking more, but there are so many options out there! You can try boxing, pilates, or just go to a commercial gym.

Start a new hobby

With all the work college requires us to put in, starting a hobby is the last thing on anybody’s mind. With the extra time during summer, you can definitely start something new. Personally, I plan to learn quilting and practice guitar. If committing to something big seems intimidating, you can always start small. You can paint silly drawings on tote bags or become a pro at having picnics!

There are many things to do over the summer, and it honestly seems like the possibilities are endless. No matter what you decide to do, remember to have fun and relax before the school year starts back up again!

Emily Velez is a member of the Writing and Editing Committee at the Her Campus at TAMU chapter. She writes about her experiences and anything that is on her mind. She tends to lean towards topics that discuss Texas A&M or being a college student, but you will also find articles that deal with entertainment. Emily makes several references in her articles to other things going on in her life, but she often references Taylor Swift or a lyric to her latest favorite song. Emily is a sophomore at Texas A&M, majoring in English with a minor in Professional Writing. She is in a women's organization and tries to be as involved on campus as she can be. Her plans for the future are to either become a technical writer, copywriter, or publisher. However, Emily wants to keep her doors open to any opportunities that arise. In her free time, Emily loves to read, write, and crochet. She recently completed a tote bag and has started on a new journey of trying amigurumi. She loves listening to Taylor Swift, and she knows many of her songs by heart. She also adores anything related to Snoopy, so you will often find her with some sort of Snoopy merchandise.