This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

As finals approach and the days of relaxation and sun loom in the horizon many of us are beginning to plan our summer vacations. For an unlucky few, your summer is already booked solid with summer school or jobs. Then there are the fortunate ones who scored a summer internship and will be spending their summer learning at the hands of the master in their trade. If you’re like me, you have an empty summer just waiting to be filled.

Now you can decide to have a lazy summer, just staying around town and hitting the pool with some friends, but why not try to make the best of summer 2015? Here are some ideas to make this summer the best one you’ve ever had.

1. Take a Statewide Road Trip

A lot of college students dream of taking that ultimate road trip across the country. Now I’m not talking the crazy Dumb and Dumber kind of road trip, but a trip where you jump in the car with your best friends and blast music with the windows down as you take off into the sunset. Now seeing as we are college students, money always seems to be tight and a cross-country road trip doesn’t quite fit in the budget. But why not try your luck at your own state? Each state has enough roads, cities and landscapes to make a statewide road trip feel like you’ve traveled the country. You can explore the historical monuments your state has to offer, delve into the long forgotten cultures of your people, or just plain drive until you hit the adventure. Whatever you choose to do, it is sure to make enough memories with your friends to last a lifetime.

2. Hit the Summer Festivals

California isn’t the only state that knows how to throw a great festival. All around country you can find local festivals for whatever you’re interested in. Explore the tastes of the land at food festivals or enjoy some great music at the many music festivals going on around the country. You can even plan to learn a bit this summer as you explore festivals devoted to cultures and heritages.  The point is, there are any number of festivals around this summer that are sure to catch your fancy. Just grab your friends or your family and have some fun.

3. Volunteer in your Community

Summer is the perfect time to give back to your community. If you have the time why don’t you try looking up places in town that need summer volunteer work? Look at churches, summer camps, habit for humanity, and local stores. Find an organization that interests you, whether that be non-profits, education, or even healthcare. Places all around the country are looking for bright young people to lend a hand. Not only will you be giving back to your community, but also you will be gaining leadership skills that will help you in the future. 

4. Pick up a New Hobby

With all the free time you are sure to have on your hands why not try your luck at a new hobby. Attend some paint lessons, join a summer sports league in a sport you have always wanted to play but aren’t very good at, or take a stab at pinterest DIY projects to decorate your dorm or apartment. Who cares if you can’t play the guitar, go take those lessons. Never had a green thumb? Plant that garden anyway. Summer is the perfect time to try something new so grab your supplies and have at it!

These ideas are here to get you going, to help you see that summer doesn’t have to be the same old boring vacation. You can have fun and learn at the same time. You’ve got to start digging to find the place for you this summer. Whatever you’re into I can guarantee you somewhere in this country you will find your place. So grab your friends and family and start planning the best summer ever!

Victoria is a senior at Texas A&M University studying Bioenvironmental Sciences. She is a Chapter Advisor for HC National as well as a Contributing Writer for HC TAMU. She is also a Projects Coordinator with AGEISS Inc. Following graduation in December 2016, she will begin work in the environmental sector.