Friends on a dispo
Friends on a dispo
Photo by Anali Ramirez
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How I made REAL friends in college!

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

After High School, COVID-19, and your typical mean girls I was hesitant about how making friends in college would go. In high school, I had a whole different perception of what friendship was versus what it really is supposed to be like. Just to be clear, friendship is not talking about each other, but it is supporting and pushing each other to succeed in every aspect of life.  Entering college, I hoped to meet new people and not redo the whole high school cycle all over again. After graduating in high school in 2021, I feared going to school and making friends since COVID had kept me pretty much isolated for the two years prior.

I remember going into the first day of my college class FULL of anxiety; I feared how I’d be perceived, what to say, what to wear – all the typical first day jitters. I was lucky to have a very small first class that very first day. I remember I sat next to a girl, and we immediately began to just chat about all the things. As the days progressed, I made new friend after new friend. Although I don’t speak to many of them anymore, I will always be grateful to that group of people that truly helped me to get out of my shell. Some of the things I learned during this time were:

Put yourself out there!

People can’t get to know you if you don’t allow yourself to let people in.

Get involved!

I joined an organization my second semester of college, and although it was a little bit nerve racking at the beginning, once I got the hang of it I met some of my favorite people.

Tell someone “You like their shoes!”

If you’re ever afraid to strike up a conversation with someone, tell them you like their shoes! They will most likely say thanks and strike up a conversation.

Be yourself.

The best way to put yourself out there is to just be yourself. Don’t try to be anyone else to impress somebody or to fit in, the people who love you will love you for YOU.

It’s okay to be nervous!

It’s okay to be nervous, chances are the people around you are also nervous! Be transparent and honest. Being nervous does not make you weak, it just means you’re human.

Flash forward to today, I now have friends who I would not change for the world. I have people who I know will come in times of need, in the good and bad. Friends who do things for you, not for receiving anything in return, but for the sole purpose of being a good friend. In the (very) ugly crying and in the happiness that comes after. I have one very awesome group of friends who I couldn’t have prayed any harder for; they are perfect to me. High school me would have never imagined just how lucky I would get here. Safe to say, I won the friend lottery. I always dreamed to have a group of friends just like the TV SITCOM friends and I truly believe I’ve found them. Friends like these make you stop and wonder why you ever settled for anything less.

Howdy! my name is Anali Ramirez and I am a junior psychology major at Texas a&m university. I grew up in Laredo Texas, but moved to New Braunfels during 2020. Some of my goals In life are to spread mental health awareness specifically in college. I feel that this is so important because everyone could be more knowledgeable about the great effects of properly caring for your mental health . I also hope to write a book when I am older and I hope to move to Washington DC in the future. Some of my hobbies are writing, running, taking pictures, going to Starbucks and sonic, and currently I am on the hunt to see who has the best kolache in college station! I love spending time with my family, I'm a huge history buff, and I love shopping! I also babysit 3-4 times a week and I love working with little kids. I feel that this will help me in my goal of becoming a child psychiatrist in the future. Some other fun facts about me are that I am a huge talker! I love to talk, I am not afraid of public speaking and could quite literally strike up a conversation with the wall! I also love learning new things because I truly believe that knowledge ie power!