little women?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
little women?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Sony

Films For Fall: Some of My Favorite Movies for My Favorite Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

My closest friends know that Fall, or more specifically Halloween, is by far my favorite time of year. The decorations, the treats, the vibes… it is by far the most immaculate season. And although I may live in the depths of Texas (and therefore forever exposed to the worst heat), there are still so many ways to really get into the spirit this time of year.

Of course we all rush to Starbucks on drop day of the PSL, or we hurry to Bath and Body Works to get a fall-scented candle. But, at least for me, nothing gets me more into the fall mood like movies do.

There is a special way that movies can transport us to the most beautiful yet thought provoking places. Even though I am trapped in what feels like an eternal sauna, it is because of these movies that I feel I can start seeping into the autumn season. So whether you’re looking for a Rom-Com, Horror, Thriller, or Drama, sit back and grab some popcorn because I’ve got you covered.

Literally anything in stop motion

I feel like this goes without saying, but seriously… ANYTHING IN STOP MOTION GIVES FALL VIBES. Sorry, I’ve said my piece.

In all seriousness, stop motion is by far one of my favorite cinematography styles. Not only do I find the complexity of simply making the movie to be so fascinating, but the extreme creativity allows for such interesting and unique stories to be told.

When one thinks stop motion, they make think “Coraline”, “The Nightmare Before Christmas”, or (my all time favorite) “ParaNorman”. You can’t go wrong with any of these, and although there are definitely a ton more, I’ll spare you just this time for the sake of this article not becoming dissertation length.

When Harry Met Sally

I only first watched this movie about a year or two ago, and let me be clear when I say it is now my new favorite Rom-Com of all time. I realize how loaded of a statement that is, but I am just so in love with this movie.

In this film, we watch as the two main characters, Harry and Sally, meet up and then fall back out of each others lives for over a decade. Throughout this time, viewers see them change as people, as well as how they change each other for the better.

Not only is it both insanely heart warming and hilarious, it has IMMACULATE fall vibes. Majority of the plot takes place in New York City, and it includes Central Park walks with leaves falling, knitted sweaters, cafes and bookshops – seriously just all the things needed to make a great movie for this season.

Little Women (2019)

Speaking of dissertation length articles, I could spend the rest of my life on this floating rock talking and writing about this movie. As a girl who grew up with this story, Greta Gerwig’s edition in 2019 was quite literally life changing.

There are few movies in life where you can seriously get EVERYTHING out of the plot. Pure joy? Got it. Love interests? For sure. Complete and utter sadness? You bet. “Little Women” has it all, and each actress that portrays their respective sister does it masterfully.

There are many period dramas that hit the nail on the head when it comes to fall vibes. Of course “Pride & Prejudice” (2005) does it beautifully, and one can’t forget the immaculate settings of “Atonement” (Keira Knightley really said let me just pop off in both of these). But there seriously isn’t anything more “fall” than Concord, Massachusetts in the post Civil War era. The golden trees, rolling hills, and not to mention the costumes… if there is a God, that God is a woman. Her name is Greta Gerwig, and she understands me more than I think anyone ever will (this is officially me leaking part of my love letter to Greta, oops).

It’s Thriller Time

I realize that when you think of fall, you think of cute sweaters, lattes, and bookshops. BUT you must remember… it’s also SPOOKY SEASON!

I will make the clarification here and now that I am definitely NOT one for extreme horror or gore or any stuff like that. Seriously, anything in The Conjuring franchise, count me out. However, you seriously can’t beat a good on the edge of your seat, biting your fingernails type of thriller.

Although I tend to enjoy this genre year ’round, one of my favorites in this category is “Prisoners” with Hugh Jackman, Paul Dano, and Jake Gyllenhaal (yes, I realize it’s sacrilegious to mention his name, but it’s a great movie!). There were seriously moments during my first watch of this that I had to pause the movie and take a breather because OMG it is INTENSE.

Another great recent fall-esque thriller is “The Batman” (2022). Edward Cullen stalking around in gothic attire, fighting crime and terror on a rainy day in Gotham City… what can beat that?? I also realize that Paul Dano is also in this movie. I adore him as The Riddler, and am now starting to realize that I have officially deemed him as “King of the Thriller genre”.

Lastly, but certainly not least, one can not forget the “Scream” franchise. Say what you will about the cringy dialogue or stereotypes surrounding slashers, but I LOVE how self-referential these movies are. Especially in recent editions, they have become both socially and self aware, and I feel like that really makes them stand out. Plus, they’re hilarious and aren’t super duper scary.

Hannah Morris is the Public Relations Executive for the Her Campus at Texas A&M University chapter. She oversees the PR committee to ensure that each member meets their requirements for merchandise designs and press releases every semester. She also leads her team in dispersing products and brand samples to the rest of the chapter. Beyond Her Campus, Hannah is a junior at Texas A&M University, majoring in Political Science with minors in Journalism and Psychology. She works as a Student Assistant in TV and Digital Content at KAMU Broadcasting, where she assists at production shoots while also writing and creating content for KAMU Marketing and Communications. Hannah is also a freelance proofreader, with a proofreading and editing certification from the Proofread Anywhere training program. In her free time, Hannah enjoys spending time with her dog, Emmylou. She loves to go on new adventures, read fun books, or attend concerts with friends. She is a music and film connoisseur, and hopes to one day work in PR in either industry.