Meredith Kress-Summer Girl Legs Swimming Pool
Meredith Kress / Her Campus

Did I Just Make The Playlist of The Summer?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

I have a confession to make: lately, I’ve been listening to a lot of pop music. To most people, this probably doesn’t seem like a big deal. Pop music has its name for a reason… it’s popular. That being said, I have always felt guilty for enjoying the pop genre. Music elitism and gatekeeping online have reinforced the idea that obscurity is one of the best indicators of music quality. Sometimes it feels like the more popular a song becomes, the less cool it is to admit you like it.

In my opinion, pop music shouldn’t need to be reduced to a guilty pleasure! Music is a way to experience a variety of emotions, including joy. So why should I feel embarrassed for listening to Taylor Swift or Olivia Rodrigo? I’ve decided that the summer of 2024 is the season I allow myself to have fun and play silly music without shame. To get the silliness started, I’ve created a couple of playlists for pop listeners to enjoy this summer!

Songs for a hot afternoon by the pool:

These are a few low-tempo pop songs for the chill pool day I picture when I think of summertime. The inspiration song behind this playlist is Sabrina Carpenter’s newest single, Espresso.

Songs to blast in the car:

These are songs that I can’t help but sing when they queue up on my driving playlist. I think they would be perfect for a summer day trip. The inspiration behind this playlist is I Think He Knows by Taylor Swift.

Happy listening, everyone!

Chloe Sumner is a member of the Social Media committee for Her Campus at TAMU. She is a Sophomore Communication major with a minor in Sociology. Chloe joined Her Campus as a means to recultivate her love for writing as a creative outlet. Her writing interests include pop culture, style, and mental health awareness. Alongside her responsibilities with Her Campus at TAMU, Chloe is an active student at Texas A&M University. She is an Outreach staff member for FLAKE, a student leadership organization. Chloe is also a member of the Public Relations committee for the Council of Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities. Through her time at Texas A&M, she has developed a strong interest in the fields of Communication and Sociology. Chloe hopes to one day earn a Ph.D. and conduct research on the intersection of gender and communication. In her day to day life, Chloe divides her time between her school, organizations, and her hobbies. Her favorite pastimes are watching YouTube video essays and FaceTiming her dogs back home. Chloe’s dream day would be spent reading in a boba shop or wandering around a thrift store with her headphones on.