Life > Experiences

Chilifest: What You Need to Know Before You Go!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

What is chilifest?

Chilifest is a Texas Country Music Festival in Snook, TX. It happens the first weekend of April (April 5th and 6th) and features 10 musical artists over the 2 days. There also is a chili cook off which you can sign up for and win a cash prize. Chilifest is somewhere to let loose and have fun, but please be smart and do it responsibly.

Here is the lineup for this year:

how do you get a ticket?

You can get tickets here or through fraternity and men’s organization connections. You can also google “(insert name of the fraternity here) chilifest” and an Instagram account or ticket site should pop up to buy from them.

For the organizations that still have tickets available, they will be selling tickets for the build only or build+merchandise. These build+merchandise tickets might include a build band, shirt, and accessories (such as a hat or fanny pack).

What is a build band? That is a band that will get you into their build at the festival and access to their food and drinks. A build is a sectioned-off structure, for that specific fraternity, which will be coordinated with a theme they were assigned for Chilifest.

Just the ticket from Chilifest’s website may be a cheaper alternative to getting the build ticket, however you do not get the shirt only access to the build. Side note: Men’s tickets are much more expensive then women’s.

What do I wear?

You really can wear anything you want. Jorts (jean shorts), cowboy boots and hats, sneakers, etc. are all very popular. It is hot and humid as well as busy, so dress accordingly. Wear something you dont mind getting dirty and muddy and sunglasses you don’t mind losing just in case. On the first day, most people wear the build shirts they got from their organization and second day is tank tops and free choice.

What should i bring?

• Sunscreen/Chapstick
  • Fanny Pack
  • Portable Charger
  • Sunglasses
  • Hand Sanitizer – The porta potties are the only thing you got out there. Maybe even bring some toilet paper.
  • Hair clips/ties

Other tips:

Shuttles are going from the Post Oak Mall both days. There is a parking map here if you plan of driving to Snook so you know where to park and meet friends at the end of the day.

PLEASE DRINK WATER!

Make a meetup spot with your group. Could be a parking lot, a build, the front gate, etc.

Halee Decker is a first year chapter member at the Her Campus at TAMU chapter. She is part of the Public Relations Committee and very excited to take part in PR and writing for HerCampus about all beauty, lifestyle, and trends. Beyond Her Campus, Halee is currently a senior at Texas A&M University, majoring in Education - Middle Grades Math and Science. At the moment she is doing her student teaching in a science classroom (even though she wants to teach math!). She has worked various jobs, but being a summer camp counselor has been the most fun in her opinion. She also is part of a sorority here at TAMU, loves the color pink, Taylor swift (she was born on the 13th too so she feels it was meant to be), going out to dinner with her friends, playing volleyball, and her dog Daisy. Halee also likes to create content for her own social media and be able to share about everything she loves lately.