Culture > News

Big Event Unites Aggies for Community Service

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

COLLEGE STATION, Mar. 25, 2023 – 14,983 students participated in the Big Event, which is the largest student-run service project in the nation.

There are a lot of people behind the scenes who worked hard and planned things months in advance for this event to go smoothly.

Big Event Staff Assistant, Kara LePage said, “As a Staff Assistant, I was given tasks called Job Checks. We would go to residents’ households and make sure the area was safe for students on the day of. Through this process, we got to know the residents and their life stories. A lot goes behind the scenes as there are almost 2,000 residents we have to get paperwork for.”

The members of the Big Event Staff also had many responsibilities on the day of the Big Event. They had to wake up early and head to Aggie Park to perform their assigned duties and stay late to ensure that all tools were returned.

“My responsibilities were to make sure all tools were given out properly as well as returned,” LePage said. “Making sure the system ran smoothly was an important part of the day by making the check-in and check-out go quickly.”

Through the Big Event, 1,932 residents were served in Bryan–College Station this year. The Big Event is a large day of service that continues to grow every year.

Howdy, I'm Raegan! I'm a Sophomore Management Information Systems major and a Sports Management minor from Houston, Texas. I love watching sports, listening to music, shopping, and hanging out with my friends in my free time.