This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

No, Astrology is not a one sign, done deal, total representation of everyone born within the same month. Many people write off the subject as a whole because they do not relate to their astrological sign. Astrology is much more than just your sun sign AKA the sign most of us know. It is an intricate chart made up of multiple planets, signs, aspects, houses, and much more. To some of you that felt like a different language, and I am here to hopefully translate all of the deeper meanings of astrology to the average girl. 

First, let’s begin with what astrology is, and what it isn’t. Astrology is “the ancient practice of studying the movements and positions of the sun, moon, planets, and stars in the belief that they affect the character and lives of people. Astrology is not “fate.” It is not some kind of destiny or fortune-telling magic. The planets have influence over us, however, they cannot force us to behave a certain way. Astrology is an amazing tool to help navigate oneself through life. It can give us a more fine-tuned knowledge about ourselves. It can help us work at our highest potential. Being aware of planetary aspects as they are happening can bring a sense of control in seemingly uncontrollable situations. For example, when mercury is in retrograde, travel and communication can be affected. Knowing of the retrograde beforehand can possibly help to prevent some sticky situations. Finally, Astrology is not a cop out. Blaming your poor traits on your astrological sign is distasteful and incorrect. No, you aren’t a jerk because you’re a Scorpio, you’re just a jerk.

Now let me go over the bare minimum before you say astrology isn’t real. I highly encourage you to look up your birth chart on the internet to learn more about what these signs mean for you!

Sun Sign: Your sun sign is the sign you probably already know. If you don’t relate to this one that’s okay! There are so many other important, if not more important, aspects in your birth chart. The sun tells us about our character. It represents vitality, a sense of individuality, and ones shining creative energy.

Moon Sign: The moon represents your emotional responses and your self-image. Who are you when you are alone? Who are you when at ease and comfortable? What do you find comfort?

Ascending Sign: It is the area of self-identity. This sign represents how others see you. How is your personality perceived? What attitude do you have towards life?

Mars Sign: Mars represents how you take action and one’s impulsivity. It also represents your physical energy. 

Mercury Sign: Represents how you communicate with others. It represents your logical side as well. 

Venus Sign: Represents your relationships whether that be romantic, or platonic. It is how we exchange and share ourselves. This sign is our values. 

While this is just scratching the surface of astrology, I believe it is a great introduction into learning more. Ask your mom or dad for what time you were born, and maybe discover something new about yourself.

Hey I'm Sadie. You probably know more dogs with my name than people. I'm obsessed with Dutch Bros, Social Media, Videography, and sleeping. You can find me in the self help section of Barnes & Noble on Tuesdays from 5-7 P.M. Thanks and Gig-em! *thumbs up*
Howdy! My name is Melanie and I am currently a Senior Human Resources major and the Chapter Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Texas A&M University! I started off as an event planner for our chapter and was so excited to become a Chapter Correspondent! In my free time I like to procrastinate my studies, buy too much at Target, and frequently visit my local Chick-Fil-A Thanks and Gig 'em