This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

The first semester of college is crucial.

Grades are important to build the foundation of a strong grade point average. By finishing your first round of classes with good grades, you will have an advantageous start to college and a better understanding of successful study habits.

Here are a couple of tips to approach finals with the least amount of stress and promising results.

Reflection

During your first semester, you will face a couple of reality checks with not-so-good grades. It is normal. Take what you have learned throughout these first months and apply them to studying for finals. Go over past tests and reviews. Identify your past mistakes. Sometimes the issue could be in not reading a question appropriately or mastering a subject criteria. Take this time to delve deeper and solidify your knowledge of a course.

Scheduling

Maintain an organized schedule and to-do list everyday during these last few weeks up until the final. Allocate and plan realistic tasks that need to be done each day. Keep in mind: do not spend more than 10 minutes organizing your schedule. Organization cannot be used as a tool for procrastination!

Environment

By now, you should have an idea of the places you can concentrate. Whether you like the library, your dorm, study groups, or solitude, study in a place where you can accomplish work most efficiently.

Breaks

Take time to give yourself a break! Stretch. Go talk to someone. Studying should not be torture or a reason to confine yourself among others. Stay organized in rewarding yourself briefly with a break when finishing tasks.

SMART Goals 

SMART goals are Specific, Meaningful, Action-Oriented, Realistic, and Timely. Your whole studying process should follow this format. Studies have shown that individuals who follow goal-oriented studying perform better than their peers.

DON’T CRAM

If you cram for a final, you might as well gamble a million dollars in a Las Vegas casino. You can never study enough for a test in college. Don’t interpret this off as signing away your freedom and becoming a slave to your books. Try to study as soon as possible, starting from Thanskgiving break. The sooner you start, the less stressed you’ll be.

It will be okay

Don’t approach a test with fear. Finals are just a way to finish a class. If you are aiming to pull up your grade in a class, know that with reflection and application, it is possible! Adjust to the sails rather than being pessimistic. Remember, it will all be over before you know it, and you will soon be able to enjoy Christmas.

Good luck, lovelies. SI SE PUEDE!

Howdy, I am a Freshman Finance major from Dallas, Texas! I am a volleyball and tennis enthusiast, food connoisseur, and learner of new languages. In the near future, I hope to work towards a career in the fashion or information technology industry.