An Evaluation of Last Fall Semester

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Every semester I try to set goals for myself.  These goals can be simple and easily achieved, or they can be goals that take a whole semester to accomplish.

For last semester’s goals, I had 3 main ones:

Try Dating

In the past I have had trouble getting close to people, especially romantically.  Whenever anyone I liked showed interest in me, I ran the other way.  And while I knew this was a problem, I did not want to face it and grow.  But I knew that at the very least, I needed to try to break the habit.  So, through some convincing from my roommate, I decided to get on Bumble.  I didn’t think it was going to go anywhere.  At the very least I could work on my flirting, right?  

Well, I matched with a few people, gave my number to three, and went on a date with one.  And the one I went on a date with?  I fell for, hard.  We are now three months into a relationship and I couldn’t be happier.  I can safely say I achieved what I set out to do (try dating) and have gotten so much more (a loving partner).

Put Less Pressure on Grades

I have struggled with tying my self worth to the grades I have received.  After some much needed therapy, I knew I wanted to lessen the impact my grades had on my mental health.  So instead of letting the grades I received consume me, I took a step back.  I allowed myself to have some grace.  I even skipped class and took the time to recuperate when I got sick.  And guess what?  My grades were fine, not the best, but fine.  And I am so much happier.  

Be More Sociable 

Slowly and slowly, I have been accumulating more and more friends.  While I am not a social butterfly, I have gradually come out of my shell.  And while in previous semesters I budgeted to hang out with friends at least once a week, I knew I wanted more.  I needed to spend more time with friends, and less time being a book-reading hermit.  So I set out to spend less time in my room and talk to my friends more.  And I did it!  While I did read less, I hung out with more people.  And that helped me lessen the amount of depression I faced.  

I am happy with my results and I can’t wait to share my goals for this semester in my next article!

Howdy! I’m Gabriela Gomez, an avid reader who is interested in all areas of publishing and writing. And reading of course! I’m the Editor-in-Chief; I currently oversee all the publishing of articles for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter. I am overjoyed to read all the members’ articles and make any corrections that will help to elevate the article. I have been with Her Campus at TAMU since my freshman year. The first year I was a general member on the Writing and Editing committee. During that first year, I wrote a total of 23 articles and was always finding new ways to help. For my second year, I worked as the Senior Editor, publishing more than 80 articles and writing 38 articles. Now in my second semester of junior year, I have implemented a new pitch process for better organization and cleanest, I have already published more than 170 articles, and I have written 16 articles and will continue writing more! Besides working as the Editor-in-Chief, I am a dedicated student at Texas A&M studying Biomedical Sciences. I am also obtaining a minor in both English and Spanish. While not studying diligently, I work in a research lab grinding away, trying to get my name on some research papers (fingers crossed). In my free time, I read, obviously. I am also on the hunt for the best latte to ever bless this earth and love a good game of chess!