8 Tips for Breakup Recovery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Although some carefree individuals may find it easy to cope, there are others who, on the opposite end of the spectrum, find it very difficult to move on after a break-up.

Here are some helpful tips to get you through this seemingly never-ending obstacle.

1. Spoil Yourself

On some days or events that companionship is associated the highly with (yes, I am talking about that lovely day full of heart-shaped candies and Cupid wall decals), it seems like every couple in a loving relationship is right around the corner to flaunt their good fortune right in front of you. I’m going to be real honest though here. Who cares? Buy yourself a man-sized stuffed bear or just go on your own shopping spree.

2. Take Yourself Out

Think about this. Being in a relationship can add stress to your wallet and become a financial sacrifice. Now that you are single, you can go to a nice restaurant by yourself because now you can afford to get dessert all for yourself, too. Whoever said “a moment on the lips, forever on your hips” was right, but hey, that chocolate cake was worth it.

3. Do the Things Your Ex Never Wanted to Do

Not only does doing this give you a feeling of freedom and independence, but it also makes you a real-life Blair Waldorf. If your ex-boyfriend never wanted to go to that music festival you always raged about, now is your time. Go straight to the nearest mall and purchase a flower crown and some round glasses to get that free-spirited Coachella vibe.

4. Listen to Some of the Best Breakup Songs

We all know Taylor Swift’s breakup songs are prevalent in our time. Listening to cheesy, upbeat songs can be surprisingly therapeutic. Who doesn’t like screaming “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” at the top their lungs?

5. Friends, Friends, and More Friends

Many relationships, usually long-lasting ones, sometimes consist of full schedules involving nothing but dates with their significant other. This does sound very appealing, but unfortunately, it isn’t until a breakup occurs that an individual takes note of their abandoned friendships. Now is the time to patch up the damage done, and focus on being a better friend.

6. Give Away the Things Your Ex Gave You

Remember when you went shopping with your boyfriend and you said, “I just love these shorts,” and your boyfriend said, “They’re nice, babe,” as he continued to retweet some funny video of two girls eating the world’s hottest pepper on Twitter. He got you the teal sweater that was right next to it. You know you didn’t like it. I know you didn’t like it.

7. Make Some Minor Changes

It’s a common belief that when people go through change in their lives, they dramatically change something about their appearance or about themselves to go along with it. When I enter a new school, I chop off all of my hair. This has happened twice. You can do the same. Except with that man in your life. Snip, snip.

8. Remember, Everything Is Going to Be Fine

To some, breaking up with someone may feel like the end of the world, especially if that person played an important role in their lives. Just remember, you were once whole before you started dating, and you will feel whole again. Also, don’t forget that things always get better, and everything happens for a reason (I had to throw that cliché in).

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.