This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

I’m a horror movie buff.

I was 11 when my mom let me watch my first horror movie, House at the End of the Street. About halfway through the film, as the suspense was building, I made it my goal to watch every horror movie ever created. Lofty goal, I know, but let’s not forget I was 11. I never did finish the movie that night. My mom pulled me out, saying she didn’t realize how scary it would be. I was furious. But, looking back, she was right. I definitely wasn’t ready. And that experience just made it all the better when, a year later, I was finally able to finish the film. Since then, I’ve watched hundreds of scary movies. Here are 5 of the more recent films that I think everyone should see. 

#5 ~ House at the End of the Street (2012)

You didn’t think I was gonna exclude my first ever scary movie, did you?

House at the End of the Street is a film about the developing relationship between Elissa, played by Jennifer Lawrence, and her neighbor. As the film progresses, secrets are revealed, and the thrill increases. I’ve watched this movie an uncountable number of times, and it never fails to leave me feeling haunted. 

#4 ~ Last Night in Soho (2021)

Last Night in Soho is about a young woman, who moves out to attend fashion school. Soon after, she begins having nightmares about an aspiring singer from the 1960s. With each night, her dreams get darker, leaving her no other option but to uncover the mysteries of the past. 

#3 ~ Scream (2022)

Scream (2022) is a riveting film, which somehow manages to maintain a comedic undertone. A new cast, including Jenna Ortega and Melissa Barrera, is introduced. The storyline is similar to that of the previous Scream movies… The killer, known as Ghost Face, is on the loose, and the characters have to figure out who it is before it’s too late. The film’s use of comedic timing, irony, and tons of blood and gore causes its viewers to feel fully immersed.

#2 ~ Scream VI (2023)

You caught me… I’m kind of obsessed with the Scream franchise. Scream VI is actually my favorite of them all. The blood and gore is on steroids, and its kill count almost doubles that of the first film. But more than that, it has a great storyline, which shows that the bond between two sisters is incredibly powerful.

#1 ~ Us (2019)

Jordan Peele’s Us is a chilling movie with a unique, underlying message. The film is about a family whose doppelgangers come to murder them. It introduces an underground world in which the dopplegangers have limited resources and zero choices. Because of this, they attempt to claim their rightful places in society through disturbing ways. With haunting visuals and spine shivering twists, Us keeps its viewers horrified from beginning to end, while presenting the idea that the world’s evil stems from one’s own self. In other words, we should search within before blaming others for the world’s problems.

Sydney Heller is a student writer for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter. She enjoys writing articles on entertainment, culture, news, and more. Sydney is a senior English major at Texas A&M University. In addition to writing for Her Campus at TAMU, she is the Communications Intern for the Department of English’s undergraduate office, where she manages social media accounts, promotes department events, produces the monthly additions of The English Aggie newsletter, and more. She is also a member of a Texas A&M organization known as SWAMP, which stands for screenwriting, acting, and movie production. In this organization, she is learning about cinematography, lighting, screenwriting, and, in general, how to make a movie. In her free time, Sydney enjoys painting, listening to music, and writing poetry. She also has a tortoiseshell cat named Drizzy who she loves to play with. Sydney is a Dance Moms fanatic and can quote almost every episode easily. She is very excited for Abby Lee Miller’s new reality TV show, MAD House, to premiere. Some of her favorite music artists include Taylor Swift, Arctic Monkeys, Noah Kahan, and Olivia Rodrigo. In the future, Sydney hopes to become an investigative journalist or a screenwriter. She is looking forward to her second semester with Her Campus at TAMU. Gig 'em!