This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

As we near the end of the semester, you may be searching for the perfect podcast to binge as you draft that essay or spend hours trying to conquer that difficult math lesson! If you are anything like me, you can’t even see your own shadow without getting scared, let alone listen to a podcast about real-life murders. So here are five podcast recommendations that will allow you to sleep at night! 

All of these podcasts can be streamed through the “Podcast” app in iOS for free! Yes, ladies, for FREE!

The Moth

Episode Length: ~45-55 minutes

Suggested Episode: June 23, 2020 – Mismatch, Marriage and a Marathon

The Moth is a grown-up version of bedtime stories. These stories are short, running about 20 minutes each. The podcast was recorded before covid through in-person events where audience members voluntarily shared stories. The episodes are characterized by themes, so if you are looking for something in particular, you can find it by the titles. But I have to warn you, some stories have some unexpected twists! I recommend listening to this podcast while doing a mindless task; for me, that would be modeling a project via computer. 

Poetry Unbound

Episode Length: ~15 minutes

Suggested Episode: A Poem For All That Life Brings

Pádraig Ó Tuama, a poet from Ireland, is the narrator of these podcasts. He usually reads a poem, shares his take, and then reads it one more time. This podcast will open your third eye and provide philosophical thoughts. It is great for listening while taking a study break preparing breakfast. I am not exactly sure what aligning your chakras means, but this podcast is practically that. I would suggest giving it your full attention. 

Rupaul: What’s the Tee? With Michelle Visage

Episode Length: ~1 hour

Suggested Episode: Episode 245: Nicki Minaj & Leslie Jones

Okay, you may be thinking: “Katharine, that’s lovely, but I enjoy having a closed third eye.” Well, I got the perfect podcast for amusing chatter, too! This one is by RuPaul, host of Rupaul’s Drag Race (RPDR) and many other successful projects, and Michelle Visage, a guest host of RPDR among other ventures. The podcast involves these two kiki-ing and catching up. And they are typically joined by prominent pop-culture guests. I recommend listening during a lunch break or any other time you want to have a few laughs!

Beautiful Stories From Anonymous People

Episode Length: ~1 hour

Suggested Episode: n/a

This podcast is simply what the title says: “Beautiful Stories from Anonymous People.” Join the comedic host, Christ Gethard, as he accepts phone calls from strangers with the rule that he cannot be the one to end the call. I did not list a suggested episode because I think each story is unique. Each one is accompanied by a detailed description of what to expect, so, when choosing, I would recommend starting there! I suggest playing this podcast while cleaning the house or any time you want to take your mind off things for an hour.

99% Invisible

Episode Length: Varies (~20-40 minutes)

Suggested Episodes: Invisible Women or The House That Came in the Mail

99% Invisible can be best described as “a weekly exploration of the process and power of design and architecture.” Besides interesting, this podcast is very educational. So, if you enjoy learning new things, then this one is for you! While I am biased as an architecture major, this podcast has something for everyone’s interests. Episodes focus on a wide range of topics, such as technology, politics, environment, and more. 99% Invisible is perfect for listening to on your drive home or while doing those dishes that have been cluttering your kitchen for days.

Go ahead, queue up one of these podcasts for your daily commute, or whenever you want to immerse yourself in the words of another person. Who knows? One of these might become your new go-to podcast! 

Katharine Woehler is a graduate student at Texas A&M pursing a Master's of Architecture degree. She consistantly searches for new, innnovative ways to view space and social interaction through architecture practice. Her fuel is iced vanilla lattes. Katharine is an avid houseplant collector, with a constantly growing wishlist.