This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Sometimes, people need a break from busy videos like videogames, plays, news, or the occasional prank video. However, that can get too much especially when you’re the type of person that has YouTube playing in the background and you can’t dedicate eye power to watching the video. This is where the video essay format of content comes into play.

Lately, there has been an uptick in video essays, where a creator talks in length about a topic of their choosing or a relevant topic of the times. Usually, this requires a lot of research and dedication to a topic, but the ones I like to listen to usually execute them well. However, it can be daunting to find one that fits for you because there are so many — but that’s why I’m here to help figure out some potential ones for you by sharing some of my favorite ones. However, I’m going to share lesser-known (<1 million subscribers) ones as many people already know j aubrey or D’Angelo Wallace.

So here are some of my latest favorites that I think you might enjoy, especially if you like quirky storytellers:

1. Nicole Rafiee

I’ve discovered her after I started watching the H3 Podcast and her video on Frenemies, a former show on the H3 Podcast. The format of this video was really funny and candid, and it made the entire Frenemies timeline easier to digest, especially as that is a recurring trope in H3 lore. She recently did a video on the Vlog Squad — which the Vlog Squad is a whole entire dumpster fire in and of itself — that pieced together the timeline and also explained the Jeff Wittek excavator accident more to me. I haven’t checked out more of her content, but these two videos made me want to subscribe and I’m excited to see more like that.

Amanda, who goes by Swell Entertainment, is the type of girl who goes to big conventions like TwitchCon or Anime Impulse, and just gives her candid experiences of them especially when events like that are met with curiosity by the general public. She also talks about, in length, niche content creator drama like the DIY Maximalist Home Décor incident or uncovering what being an audience member for A Little Late with Lilly Singh is by going four times. I like how she talks, her eloquence, and also makes the content more palatable and interesting for the common person.

Last, but not least, is Nick Green. He has multiple channels, but he’s been mostly posting on greenisnotnick and he said us but none of his channels have hit above 1M subscribers yet so that’s why I included him. What’s nice about his channel is that he covers niche, cringe TikTok trends and it’s entertaining. I would have not otherwise cared about this drama (unless it was about TikTokers I actually follow). He makes it entertaining, and I love how blunt he is. While his essays aren’t super long, it’s fine because it’s short and gets to the point, like a novella. It’s hard to describe but like I genuinely enjoy watching his videos every day.

I know this isn’t a long list of YouTubers, but I really think starting off with these ones will help you find others you like. There are so many out there that you can get into and it’s all about finding the right one. Hopefully this was helpful to you!

Sophia is a self-proclaimed potato on the TAMU campus. She is a third-year Materials Science and Engineering Ph.D. student that loves being in Her Campus. She loves it so much that she continued being a member into grad school. This is her second year writing with HC TAMU, but wrote for HC UFL from Fall 2017 - Spring 2020 when she was an undergrad at the University of Florida. Sophia loves writing about social justice topics, science, and loves showcasing her dog, Banshee (ig: @BansheeTheBeauty). Follow her on insta, twitter, and snapchat @divasophia97.