This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Did you recently receive your Aggie Ring? Does your right hand feel a little heavier? Do you feel like you just gained a new responsibility to take care of? You are not alone. My Aggie Ring Day was a little over a week ago, and I feel like I’m still processing the accomplishment.

Flashback three months ago to my appointment at the Alumni Center as I walked to my ring sizing appointment. While looking down at the paper calendar on the desk in front of me, I thought: April is an eternity away. There is no way I could wait that long. Surprisingly enough, time went by pretty fast. Now that the ring festivities are over, here are three tips to keep your shiny new ring in amazing condition.

Keep Your Ring in One Place

As someone who never wore jewelry regularly, I knew that owning an Aggie Ring would change that habit for me. What I have found most helpful (and painfully obvious) for keeping track of my new accessory is maintaining a specific place to put it before I go to bed and after I get home. Whether that be on my nightstand or my desk, I have found that keeping track of my ring became much easier when I wasn’t leaving it around random places at random times.

Occasional (Professional) Cleaning

One of the first questions I asked after ring day was: “How do I clean it?”. As someone who does not need to clean fine jewelry or maintain accessories of this value, I did not know what to expect. After speaking to my classmates who had already received their rings, I had gotten two answers:

• Dish soap and warm water OR visiting the Aggie Ring Office and getting it cleaned for free

Personally, I would recommend visiting the Aggie Ring Office to get your ring professionally cleaned, especially if you’re about to graduate. Not only will your ring be returned looking brand new and shiny, but the service will be done free of cost. This option is perfect for Aggies leaving town or visiting for football game, as you want to take advantage of the service while you’re in town.

Be Careful Around Water

Believe it or not, rings falling into bodies of water such as lakes or oceans is one of the most common ways students and alumni lose their rings. The funny thing about Aggie Rings is that they have a natural attraction to water. I immediately noticed that when I wash my hands, my ring tends to want to slip away, so I have acquired a newfound respect for water while wearing it. This element is one to stay cautious of, especially if vacationing during the summer.

While these three tips may be fairly obvious, I quickly learned that taking care of my ring is extremely important going forward in my academic career. I want to make sure my ring stays nice and shiny for future years to come.

Howdy! I am a Senior Communication major currently minoring in Business. I am passionate about art, design, and I'd love to work in creative media. Gig em!