12 Awkward Daily Occurrences

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

There exists the saying that “It’s only awkward if you make it awkward”. Well, not really. Sometimes you can’t decide what is awkward because it just is. Here are 12 situations which can make things really awkward for you:

1. Thinking someone is waving at you

This is how it goes: someone waves in your general direction, you squint to try and recognize how they know you, they still continue to wave, and then you decide to wave back because it just feels like the right thing to do. Nope, that wave was not intended for you. They were waving to their friend that was right behind you and now they both get to laugh at you while you slowly lower your hand.  

2. Shuffling to get out of someone’s way

You see someone approaching you in the opposite direction while you’re walking so you get ready to move to the side just to make it easier for everyone. Well, they had the same idea. So now you’re there sliding back and forth trying to go on your way while the other person tries to go on theirs. There will be an exchange of “Oh!” and “Sorry!” and you will be left thinking how you just practically danced with a random stranger.

3. Someone holding the door open while your still far away

People can be extremely kind. Too kind. You can be across a parking lot, several meters away from the front door and it never fails that someone will notice you, open the door, and hold it open just for you. Then when you see this, you start to feel bad because that person will be holding the door for you forever at your current pace so you start to move a little faster. Next thing you know, you’re essentially jogging to the door.

4. Responding “Thanks, you too.” to statements where that doesn’t make sense

Food service employee: “Enjoy your meal.”

You: “Thanks, you too.”

After that transaction, you’re left thinking “Wow, did that really just happen”. You sort of panic a little inside and the food service employee will usually just smile at you while you backtrack in your head how stupid that response was. Trust me, you will end up in this situation again.

5. Stomach growling at the most inconvenient times

Stomachs seem to have a mind of their own. They have no problem growling as loud as possible during exams when it’s super quiet, or during study sessions. You will probably receive some stares after your stomach decides it is the perfect time to grumble but most of the people behind these stares have been in your position.

6. Coughing fits in the quietest settings

It is typical to feel parched sitting in class or at work so taking a drink from your water bottle (or other beverage) is natural but there are times when whatever you drank somehow ends up going down the wrong pipe. This leads to you choking and coughing up a storm and also quite a bit of head turns.

7. Trying to control your breathing after the most minimal exercise

Class is on the 3rd floor? Yeah, taking the stairs doesn’t seem too bad of an idea. Not. By the time you get to your floor, you’re there gasping for air while simultaneously trying to hold it in so other people can’t hear how out of shape you are. That will only make you heave more and now you’re just full on tired.

8. Taking your hoodie off and exposing yourself to everyone in plain sight

You can try and hold your shirt down when you take off your pullover but no matter how hard you try, you still end up exposing yourself to your peers. Development of a system where someone holds your shirt down while you take your hoodie off can save you from this embarrassment.

9. When you click on a video and your volume is all the way up

This tends to happen during class when you’ve zoned out and you are scrolling around on your phone and you accidentally click on a shared video in the process. A burst of sound hits and you see a whole bunch of eyes looking for the source of the sound. You only let the video play for under 2 seconds but it is enough for people to figure you out and give you all the judging looks.

10. Saying bye just to find out you are heading in the same direction

When you say bye to someone, you typically close off conversation. So when that bye isn’t really a bye because it turns out their next destination is near yours then you sort of have a loss for words. So the best you can do is laugh and mention how awkward that was. At that point, you’re captain obvious and you wish you hadn’t said anything.

11. That little trip-skip when you’re walking

For most people, thinking is not needed to walk. However, blanking out while walking usually leads to you doing that weird, little almost-trip where you catch yourself before actually falling. You can usually recover really fast but you probably gave anybody who saw you a little laugh.  

12. Scrolling social media in a public space and NSFW content showing up

Social media is a great tool against boredom. It can be used before class (during too, though not recommended), in the shuttle bus, and essentially any other time. Sometimes the people you follow share some not-safe-for-work images/videos/gifs and when you’re scrolling in public, they will sort of just pop up on your screen for anyone around you to see. Ah, totally not awkward at all.

The best thing to do in any of these situations is to just laugh it off because it is what it is. You are not the first person to feel awkward in any of these situations and you won’t be the last. If anything, you got some funny stories to share about any occurrence that put you in an awkward position so yay for awkward happenings!

Danielle Villa is an Animal Science major and Entomology minor at Texas A&M University. She spends most of her time studying to get into veterinary school but when she isn't, she's writing, watching Korean dramas, and giving all the cuddles to her dog.
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.