Career > Money

Why the Girl Math Trend Won’t Fix Your Financial State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

We’ve all watched videos of the girl math trend going viral on TikTok; although it may make us girls feel better about our shopping spree, is it really going to help us in the long run? It feels soooo good to splurge on ourselves every here and there, but financially, we all have bills that are much more important. Girl math is explained as a girl’s internal calculations that can justify her over-the-top shopping addiction. I am a shopping addict myself, and I am a girl, and math comes in handy, but not when my mom is asking why I spent $500 a week (sorry, mom!!). As much as I adore fashion and makeup, I have learned to budget and prioritize things that are more important in my life. We all have bills we need to pay each month, and spending an insane amount of money won’t help! We can see examples of girl math all over TikTok, as it’s currently blowing up my For You Page. One example we can look at is uploading money into your Starbucks account. According to girl math, if I already have money in my Starbucks account, I have previously put in, and I apply that money to my coffee, my drink is free… GIRL NO! This trend is only encouraging us girls to justify our shopping addictions when we need to budget and become the boss girls we are! Saving is so important if we want to live the best lives we can in the future. Next time you want to splurge on shopping deals, think if girl math is justifiable.

Brooke Le Mense is currently a new member and apart of the marketing team for the Her Campus Tampa Chapter. She writes mainly on the topics of lifestyle, wellness, beauty, fashion, seasonal trends, and travel. Beyond Her Campus, Brooke is a freshman at The University of Tampa, majoring in marketing. Brooke is currently working at a local tanning salon where she spends most of her time producing sales and marketing for the company. She obtains a certification from "Parsons The New School," in New York for a fashion design and PR marketing background class. Brooke enjoys working out, writing, and hanging out with friends in her free time. She finds her favorite activity to be going on a beach day trip, or a road trip with her friends. Brooke is always on top of the latest fashion trends, and seeking out new pieces to style and put together.