scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
Shondaland / Netflix

Why Bridgerton the Musical is History in the Making

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Bridgerton came out on Netflix on December 25th, 2020, a period drama based on the book series of the same name by Julia Quinn. I can’t recommend it enough. But, earlier this year (2021) two powerful Gen Z women by the names of Abigail Barlow (22) and Emily Bear (19) began composing a musical based upon the show, and it is nothing less than powerful. Live Streaming their process, these composers are letting their supporters in on their process. 

Within the last two weeks, they have written over half the show, finishing the opening number start-to-finish within 3 days. They’ve done interviews with BBC and Playbill, and on their own website have published a few rough drafts from the musical they’ve more-or-less completed. They’re making history. Two women writing a musical by themselves faster than any musical has ever been written. They have millions of supporters all over the world, including the producer of Bridgerton herself, Shonda Rhimes, as well as the actors and actresses that played in the beloved period piece. On Barlow’s TikTok, you can see how the journey started, and if you venture over to her or Bear’s Instagrams, you’ll be able to see their journey on a more in-depth and personal level.

Bear, at the age of 4, began playing piano and composing songs, appearing on The Ellen Show starting at the age of 6 several times over the course of her life for her talent in the world of composition and musical prowess. This talent, combined with Barlow’s love for pop and her obvious talent, as can be seen and heard through her EPs and singles, has created a team unlike any other that will take the broadway world by storm. 

I can’t wait to see how these two amazing women take the world by storm, and I hope I am there to cover it when it happens.

College kid just trying to survive
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson