Summer Girl Hawaii Yoga Hiking Exercise View
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Which of the Five Elements Are You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Wuxing, or “five phrases,” is a concept that originated thousands of years ago in Ancient China. It is the belief that everything, including personality types, can be divided into five basic elements: wood, fire, earth, metal, and water. Here are the five elements and their corresponding personality traits: 

🪵 Wood (木- mù) 

Wood personality types are strong-willed and always look forward, never backward. They are determined, bold, outspoken, ambitious, and confident. Their corresponding season is spring. Since they are so passionate, one of their weaknesses is that they can be stressed and short-tempered. One way to manage this is for Wood types to take a deep breath and balance their emotions. 

🔥Fire (火- huǒ) 

Fire personality types are warm people who are the life of the party. They are charismatic, sociable, energetic, fun-loving, and creative. Their corresponding season is early summer. Since they are such people-pleasers, one of their weaknesses is that they can burn themselves out with too much socializing. One way to manage this is for Fire types to balance socializing with alone time so that they are able to recharge. 

🌎 Earth (土- tǔ) 

Like Mother Nature herself, Earth personality types are nurturing and believe that giving, not taking, is the most rewarding. They are amicable, generous, caring, mellow, and kind. Their corresponding season is late summer. Since they are so thoughtful, one of their weaknesses is that they have a tendency to overthink and worry. One way to manage this is for Earth types to practice mindfulness so they stay grounded in the here and the now. 

🔩 Metal (金- jīn)

Metal personality types are cool, calm, and collected. They are sensible, organized, pragmatic, rational, and courageous. Their corresponding season is autumn. Since they are so orderly, one of their weaknesses is that they can be critical of themselves and others. One way to manage this is for Metal types to be more flexible and give grace to themselves and others. 

🌊 Water ( 水- shuǐ) 

Water personality types are in tune with the flow of life and enjoy deep connections. They are introspective, artistic, romantic, wise, and reflective. Their corresponding season is winter. Since they are so sensitive, one of their weaknesses is that they can be overwhelmed and overstimulated by the world. One way to manage this is for Water types to set healthy boundaries and give themselves time to decompress. 

It is said that a key to a happy and healthy life is learning to balance the elements. As for me, I’d say the element that fits my personality the best is earth, with a little bit of water. 

Sources:

Mayer, Beth Ann. “What the Five Elements Can Teach You about Your Personality and Health.” Healthline, Healthline Media, 14 July 2023, www.healthline.com/health/mind-body/what-are-the-five-elements.

My name's Chrissy, I'm a 2024 graduate and Writing Major/Linguistics Minor at the University of Tampa. When I'm not writing, I enjoy listening to music, swimming, meditating, reading, and good vibes.