What IS Worse Than The “What ifs”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

We all have those “self-doubt” moments. I don’t know about you, but I have those moments when I just can’t shut my brain off. From the simplest problem to the biggest one ever, trust me there is nothing fun about the “what if” situations we make up in our mind.

There is nothing worse than those “what if” moments. We somehow always misinterpret the situation and sometimes even make the problem seem bigger than it actually is.

No matter how old you are, you will always go through those moments. It’s just the nature of life. Girls are known for thinking too much and making scenarios in their mind. but believe it or not, guys get their “what if” moments too. Also parents have it ALL THE TIME.

Source

Have you ever wonder why your mom gets upset when you don’t answer the first time she calls? What if you got kidnapped, lost or in trouble just because we didn’t pick up from the first time. They always tend to make the problem 10x worse just because they worry too much.

Have you ever thought before going for an interview: What if they do not hire me  because I do not have enough experiences? We always tend to think of the negative outcomes. We never think that having social skills beats not having enough experience.

Girls, have you ever liked a guy but had some self-doubt that he wouldn’t be interested in you? He knows a lot of hot girls. Of course you’re not his type…right? You never thought that maybe that guy might be looking for a different kind of beauty, for some loyalty and inner beauty. It’s not all about appearance.

Guys, have you ever liked a girl but thought she was so out of your league and you had no chance with her. Perhaps you never thought that maybe that girl doesn’t want the most popular guy in school.  All she wants is someone to protect and care about her. She needs a real man not a popular one.

Even when we were children, we always thought what if they do not like what I’m wearing? What if they are ignoring me because they are mad? What if I’m not good enough? What if my actions now have an effect on my future? What if I’m too fat? What if .. what if ….  And the list just keeps on going on and on.

When you think of it, the “what if” moments happen from the smallest and most simplest problem to the biggest and most complicated problems. We always tend to worry about the future more than just live the moment. We worry too much about what people think of us and forget that what is more important is what we think of ourselves.You think you do not deserve something so you automatically ruin it. We always tend to think of the negative outcomes.

Finally, who cares what people think. Whether you do something good or bad, they will talk. So if I were you, I would give them a hell of a story to talk about. I tell myself this all the time that we just need to stop thinking too much, we need to go with the flow more often. Let’s see what life has stored for us. Remember bad times will not last forever. We are born to be real and ourselves. We were not and will never be perfect. So stop trying to hard. Let go of the people and things that drag you down and surround yourself with the ones who bring out the best of you. Do not give the “what if” moments the ability to destroy you. Everyone is unique in their own way.