This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Problem-Solving, critical thinking, and innovation skills are characteristics found throughout different technical fields, which are grouped together to define STEM. But what does STEM mean? Well, it stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. So, based on what you are studying in college and your major, you can also be classified as a STEM major/student. As somebody who is pursuing a Bachelors in Marine Science-Biology with a minor in Environmental Science, I would like to focus on the science aspect of STEM; especially on the (maybe) deep little secrets of what it’s like to be a science major that no one speaks about, but feels. 

**Before starting, I would like to clarify that I am not stating that majors and fields that are not science do not work as hard or harder than in the field of science. I recognize that everyone works hard to pursue their career goals.**

Somebody who chooses to pursue a career in science has to understand and know that it’s not an easy road. As a young adult and college student, the amount of work from classes and jobs while figuring out life can be overwhelming and stressful. Sometimes, it feels like you are two people that you have to clone and divide yourself to get everything done. From exams, presentations, and research to lab reports (that being honest, nobody likes or enjoys doing), it’s always non-stop work. Most days wondering and questioning if what you are doing is right. Being stressed and overwhelmed about the great amount of work and having several weeks of the semester be “weeks of  hell” and not just midterm and finals week. Having to complete due dates and celebrating when an assignment is due at 11:59 pm and not during the middle of the day. 

Being a science major is about complaining about not having enough time in a day, probably procrastinating (watching Tik Toks of your fav artists, cleaning your entire room, etc.), and eating the “lunch of champions” (like my friends like to call it) that can consist of a bag of popcorn, a microwave mac n cheese or many granola bars. It is also about going for “fuel runs,” which just means we need more coffee or something to keep us going and staying up late at night for an exam or figuring out homework that is taking too long to do. It is knowing you are sick, but rather missing class is taking medicine and going to class because missing the class is worse than going sick. As well as joking about not trying in an exam knowing that you really will or going about your day with only 3 hours of sleep. Sometimes it is about feeling like you are not smart or capable enough, even confident enough in yourself and what you have done. Feeling that everyone has “it” figured out, except you. But, to that, I will say nobody has “it,” whatever “it” may be, figured out. Some people are just better at hiding it or just lying that they do.

*As a side note, I think this applies to everyone, but my advice is to stop comparing yourself and just keep going at your pace. It is okay to go slower than others.*

Everything I have mentioned before might get you thinking: “Wow! They must hate their major or don’t like what they are doing. But, in reality, it is the opposite: we love it! Even if we complain or are a bit moody, we love what we do because it is our passion. We endure the struggles and learn from our mistakes because we know our futures are brighter than now. The road to our goal to be a researcher, teacher, professor, doctor, etc., might be tough, but it is worth it. If not, we wouldn’t have chosen this path. As we keep learning, we become more passionate and excited for the future. I don’t think there is a person that if you ask them: why did you choose your major? Or what do you want to be? They would say, “I just wanted a good job”. They might actually start with an “I don’t know” (because I have), but there is always a story of inspiration, passion, and enthusiasm. We enjoy our little talks while in the chemistry lab when reactions take their sweet time to happen. We love to hear our professors’ stories, and we are grateful for those who have helped us along the way and provided their support and advice to us. And I personally love the friends I have gotten to make thanks to science because we all understand each other, and we are quite chaotic (even the most introverted ones). It is awesome having friends in your classes and field and seeing each other grow into amazing scientists. 

Lastly, it is tough being a science major, and it is important to take care of yourself, mentally and physically, but we love what we do, and with the right people beside you, it is a fun ride!

Anngelyk M. La Luz Maldonado is a writer at Her Campus at Tampa Chapter. As a Her Campus writer, her articles cover topics revolving life experiences and entertainment. Aside from Her Campus, Anngelyk is a senior at the University of Tampa majoring in Marine Science/Biology with a minor in Environmental Science. She works for the Department of Biology as a head mentor for the general biology (199L) lab and an office assistant. Anngelyk, also, is a researcher at the Durkin Lab working to gain better understanding of Macrocheles sp. mites. When not writing or studying, Anngelyk enjoys watching Asian dramas, listening to music, and reading. She likes to read books about high-fantasy, mystery solving, and lately she is into romance books such as “Love, Theoretically” by Ali Hazelwood. She also enjoys spending time with her friends and calling her family.