Top Questions I Get Asked About Being a Twin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Being a twin I get asked a lot of questions on what it’s like to be a twin, like is it a blessing or a curse? In my opinion it’s definitely a blessing. My twin brother and I are super close, and after I moved away for college it was hard because we had spent almost every single day together since we were born. Even in school we were always in the same classes up until we graduated high school. I can always count on my brother whenever I need to vent about something or just talk about my day when I’m missing home (thank goodness for Facetime). Growing up as a twin my brother and I always got asked a hundred questions on what it’s like to have a twin, so here are my top questions and answers.

1.)   Can you read each other’s mind?

Although this would be cool but weird, no we cannot read each other’s mind. But when we were in elementary school my brother and I would come up with the same answers to a bunch of different questions, so when someone asked us a question we would say the same answer at the same time to make them think we could. It never really worked though.

2.)   Is it terrible having to share the same birthday?

I honestly don’t mind sharing a birthday with my twin; it’s just another person to celebrate with. Also it usually meant the party was bigger. Our 21st birthday probably had to be the best birthday we celebrated together because it was just one big celebration and getting to go out and drink together for the first time was a lot of fun. I also get asked who is older and it’s me, by a whole two minutes.

3.)   Can you feel each other’s pain?

We got asked this question a lot more when we were younger, but that was only because one of our friends would hit one of us and asked if the other one felt it. No we cannot feel each other’s pain. Sometimes we can sense emotional pain or just know if the other one is stressed even if we are miles away but other than that physical pain no. That would be absolutely terrible.

4.)   Is it weird to have a sibling in the same grade as you?

I didn’t think it was weird because I went to a really small school in New Hampshire (100 people in our graduating class) so we pretty much had the same friend groups. It was actually great to have him in the same grade as me because we could always work on the same homework together and or big projects. I didn’t get the best grades in high school and he was a volunteer tutor for our school so I always had someone to answer my questions.  

5.)   Are you identical?

This by far is the most asked question I get about being a twin. Even if they know I’m a girl and he’s a guy. We are fraternal twins because we do not have the same DNA. If a set of twins are boy and girl then it is impossible for them to be identical because a boy has XY chromosomes and a girl has XX chromosomes. Although my mom did dress us almost the same from when we were babies through middle school. We sometimes did wish we were identical so we could pull pranks on people, like switching classes and seeing if anyone would notice. 

I love my twin. He is my biggest supporter and I honestly don’t know what I would do without him. We have been through so much together, laughed till we couldn’t breathe, and gossiped hours upon hours. Being a twin is one of the biggest blessings and I wouldn’t change a thing.

Hello! My name is Jessica Scott and I am a recent graduate of The University of Tampa with a bachelor's in Marketing. I love to create websites for small companies, but I also have a big passion for writing. I'm from New Hampshire originally but moved down to Florida for the warm weather and school, and I have loved every minute of it here!
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson