This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Relationships can be tricky, but let’s talk about a real issue that many of us face: manipulation. It’s time for men to take a hard look in the mirror and admit when they’re the ones starting the trouble instead of pointing fingers and playing the victim. It’s time for us to step up and treat our partners right.

Ever been in a situation where you feel like you’re the only one doing something wrong? You’re not alone. Some guys have a way of making you question yourself, making you believe you’re the problem when, in reality, they’re the ones who kicked off the drama. Let’s break the cycle and have an honest conversation. 

One common trick is when they get upset if you dare to tell the truth. It’s like they can’t handle it. But wait a minute – weren’t they the ones sneaking around with other ladies, doing things they shouldn’t have been doing? It’s frustrating when they can’t own up to their own mistakes and instead get all defensive when you bring the truth to light.

Let’s get real for a moment, and it’s time to step it up, guys. Treating a girl right shouldn’t be rocket science. It’s about respect, communication, and being genuine. Instead of playing the victim all the time, it’s time to take a good look at ourselves and recognize that maybe, just maybe, our actions are causing the trust issues we claim to have.

So, why is there a need for manipulation in the first place? It’s like a game where the rules are constantly changing, and it’s impossible to keep up. But here’s the thing: relationships shouldn’t be a game. They’re about two people coming together, being honest, and working towards something meaningful. Can we be real with ourselves and our partners?

When we mess up, it’s important to own it at some point. But the crazy thing is when the role is flipped, and we do the same thing you did to us, flames start coming from your head. Just stop blaming others or trying to twist the narrative. If we want trust in a relationship, we have to be trustworthy. It’s not fair to expect someone to let their guard down if we’re not willing to do the same. Trust is a two-way street, and it’s time to start walking it together.

Taking care of the big issue at hand, self-reflection and accountability must take the place of the constant victim attitude. It’s a paradox that men who act in a dubious way are frequently the first to claim emotional barriers to be maintained because they can’t trust others. It is essential to take down these barriers and establish a safe space where both partners may feel comfortable in order to lay a strong foundation.

Playing the victim might offer a temporary escape from facing our own shortcomings, but it won’t lead to a healthy, lasting relationship. It’s a dead-end road that only prolongs the inevitable real conversation about what’s going on and what needs to change. The truth might sting, but it’s the only way to move forward.

Note to the MEN:

Let’s be real with ourselves and our partners. It’s time to ditch the manipulation, own up to our mistakes, and step up our game in treating our girls right. Instead of playing the victim with trust issues, The era of manipulation must come to an end, and please be honest, respectful, and ready to build something meaningful together. The time for change is now.

Jaide Edwards is a writer at the Her Campus at Tampa chapter. She writes about her experiences, women empowerment, entertainment, and encouraging others. Beyond Her Campus, Jaide is a undergraduate student at The University of Tampa, aiming to get her B.A degree in journalism. Making her way to her path she works very hard with her writing assignments, her poetry book, businesses and continues to build her portfolio for her dream career. In her free time, Jaide enjoys writing poems, digital graphic design, going out, and networking. She recently started her own business being a social media manager while doing digital graphic design services for others. She also wrote her own E-Book that'll be published soon. So, Jaide is a perfect example of beauty and brains.