This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

If you have been active on TikTok for the past couple of months, most likely, you have been advertised something through the TikTok shop. Whether it be a dill pickle sweatshirt or summer Fridays lip balm, TikTok shop is available to everyone. Of course, there’s an algorithm for product suggestions, but we just can’t escape it, especially when there’s a constant offer of coupons when purchasing through the social media platform. Even though it is quite tempting to purchase these items, it’s concerning how much we consume.

Admittedly, I have purchased from a TikTok shop. The deals were just a little too tempting especially since the week I purchased things I had just gotten paid. But I’ve noticed I can’t get past more than two videos without coming into contact with a paid advertisement and, of course, a link to purchase the item through a TikTok shop. It’s no longer obvious that we’re watching an ad, but it’s become integrated into the daily content that we consume through the app. However, with these tactics of applying coupons and fabrication through typical TikTok video format, we fall into the rabbit hole of overconsumption. We let good deals and influencers sway our perspective when it comes to purchasing items. Our purchases are not truly influenced by desire but influenced by marketing. So, we begin to purchase a cute bag or a desk chair, and it starts to become a domino effect when we add things to our carts. It’s become pretty concerning, especially for the app, whose main demographic is a younger audience. It’s become a possibility where financial irresponsibility becomes normalized simply because we become numb to advertisements and feel indifferent about our consumption of products. So options like TikTok shop fester overconsumption. Our purchases aren’t a result of our wants or our needs but simply a result of hearsay.

While I cannot say stopping people from using TikTok shop is the only solution, there is a solution available. Simply thinking about what you’re purchasing and putting thought into why you want something is the start. We have to take away the videos and ads and simply look at our consumption from a bigger standpoint. Where we become mindful not only of our purchases but our desires.

Kaila DeJesus is a writer for Her Campus at the University of Tampa Chapter. Covering mainly entertainment in her articles, Kaila writes on an array of topics from film and television recommendations to internet culture. Her writing centers around multiple forms of media, the modern lives of college students, and pop culture. Beyond being a writer for Her Campus, Kaila is also a sophomore at the University of Tampa. Currently majoring in Film and Media Arts, she hopes to pursue a career in film journalism. She hopes to become a journalistic film critic post-graduation. While enrolled full-time at the university, Kaila is also a part-time sales associate for Vans under the parent VF Corporation. In her free time, Kaila enjoys watching movies, keeping up with pop culture, and vinyl record shopping. Enjoying the "older" hobbies such as record collecting, Kaila loves going to her local movie theater to watch a movie over streaming. She spends most of her free time hanging out with her friends, writing reviews for films on Letterboxd, and rewatching her favorite sitcoms multiple times. Kaila also enjoys attending the concerts of some of her favorite artists such as Taylor Swift, Phoebe Bridgers, and SZA.