Life > Experiences

The Ultimate New England Fall Road Trip Itinerary: A Local’s Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Picture this: you’re standing on a mountain summit overlooking breathtaking mountains, which are wrapped in fiery orange and red leaves. Your chilly hands are warmed by the hot chai latte you picked up on your way home from the pumpkin patch, where you indulge in the sugary goodness of an apple cider doughnut. Slowly, you open your eyes and think, “Have I gone to heaven.”  

No, you’re in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I mean, maybe it is heaven?  

As someone who grew up in New Hampshire, I suffer in Florida every fall, mourning the loss of crisp, sweater-weather air. If I cannot be in New England for fall, I will convince everyone else they should be (as if maple syrup and apple cider doughnuts weren’t enough.)  Here are my top things to do in New England if you are luckier than me and find yourself there this Autumn.

Pedal a Swan Boat in Boston Common

Chances are, if you’re traveling into New England by plane, you’ll begin in Boston, which is an amazing start to your epic fall journey. You will see your first colorful trees immediately when you step out of the airport. Boston Common is the city’s largest park and features a gorgeous pond where you can take a magical swan boat ride under the shedding trees. Breathe in the chilly air and grab a bite to eat because we’re already on to our next stop.

Visit Mack’s Apples for All Things Pumpkin

Right on the way up from Boston is Mack’s Apples in Londonderry, New Hampshire. This farm was a staple of my childhood, so I may be biased; however, you can find any fall product you could ever imagine at their farm stands. Pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cakes, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, do you see the theme here? You can also pick your own apples to munch on during your road trip.

Take the Kanc

About one hour north of Mack’s Apples is when you will enter the White Mountains. This picturesque area is where you will find the Kangamangus highway (the Kanc for short.) This is where you will find the postcard-worthy mountain views and hairpin turns, so I don’t recommend it if you’re afraid of heights. You should reserve a full day to see all of what the Kanc has to offer: hikes, biking trails, and swimming holes if you’re bold enough to brave the icy waterfalls.

Cross the Border to Vermont

Vermont has some of the best fall foliage in the country and should definitely be a stop on your ultimate New England fall trip. Burlington, Vermont, located on the beautiful Lake Champlain, is a must-stop not just for the natural beauty but also for the delicious restaurants and bars the city has to offer.

Salem, Massachusetts

Your final stop on your way back to Boston needs to be Salem, Massachusetts. This iconic town just screams Halloween. Several spooky films have been shot in this town, and you can even visit the home of Hocus Pocus protagonist Max Dennison, which is a real-life colonial-style home in Salem. The Salem Witch Museum gives you a glimpse into the infamous Salem witch trials and certainly gets you in that spooky mood.

Ultimately, wherever you choose to go on your New England road trip will be spectacularly beautiful. Have fun and send me a postcard!

Bianca Gallo is an Editor and Writer at the University of Tampa’s chapter of Her Campus. She enjoys writing about lifestyle and culture topics, mainly focusing on travel. Bianca is a senior journalism major at the University of Tampa where she also regularly writes for the school newspaper, The Minaret. She also studied media and professional communications at Edinburgh Napier University in Edinburgh, Scotland. When she is not writing, Bianca enjoys trying new coffee shops, binging reality T.V, and checking off her travel bucket list. Her favorite travel destination so far is Budapest, Hungary.