Puppy Hand Fun Ring Summer Hapy Original
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

The Top 5 Reasons to Get a Pet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

There are many reasons why you should have a pet. This can be from a dog and cat to a bird. Having an animal has been proven to bring more joy into your life. This can prove your mental, physical, and emotional health. Everyone has their own reasons for getting a pet, but here are the top reasons to get one.

• They Can Improve Your Health
    • Owning a pet helps you stay in shape by having to take your dog on a walk. Having to keep up with your pet will definitely have you working up a sweat. They also help improve your mood by just being there for you. Being exposed to animal dander also helps strengthen your immune system. 
  • They Make the Best Companions
    • After coming home from a long day, any pet will brighten your day. Having a pet will make you feel less lonely. They will always be there for you on good and bad days. When no one else is available, they always will be! 
  • They Help Make Friendships
    • Owning a pet is a great conversation starter. Most people view pet owners as more open and friendly. This will help you make new friends or start a relationship.
  • They Make You Feel Safe
    • Living alone can be scary, but having a pet can make it easier. It’s always a comfort knowing that they are there with you. If you are ever scared, your pet can help protect you.
  • They Will Always Love You
    • You are the light of your pets life and their life revolves around you. To them you are everything and they will love you forever!

Owning a pet will be a positive change in your life. There will be ups and downs of being a pet owner, but it will be worth it in the long run. There is not a day that goes by that I regret having a pet and you won’t too!

I am a freshman at the University of Tampa. I am a finance major at the Sykes College of Business. I am originally from Illinois. I enjoy reading, going to the beach, and hanging out with friends.