The Popularity of Father-Daughter Dynamics in Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

As a full-time movie buff, I have kept a close eye on all the media coming out. One thing is certain; the father-daughter dynamic is the current moment.

Between Oscar movies centered around the bond between family and tv adaptations about found family, the father-daughter dynamic has come to pull on our heartstrings. If you’ve seen the critically acclaimed film, The Whale (2022) starring Brendan Fraser, you know Hollywood, as of recently, doesn’t shy away from portraying the tumultuous, sometimes rocky relationships of father and daughter. On the other hand, we have a critically acclaimed movie like Aftersun (2022) that puts the treacherous relationship into perspective.

I admit, I originally was moved to watch Aftersun (2022) to watch Paul Mescal act out yet another heart-wrenching performance, but the chemistry he had with this phenomenal young actress, Frankie Corio as father and daughter was addictive. I couldn’t get enough of their banter and the gentleness of the actor’s vulnerability. Yet, wrapped in the sweetness was this overarching tension brewing. You’ll have to sit with a box of tissues to discover the depth of this relationship and how much a struggling father and a daughter kept in the dark can go through together. As young people, I feel it can help us think through our family relationships and, once again, how parents aren’t perfect.

Of course, I’ve been keeping up with the hottest new show on HBOMax based on the fan-favorite video game, The Last of Us (2023). This show has immediately left an emotional impact on me with the amount of safety and comfort the found-family trope of this show illustrates. Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey act out as two lonely souls who find each other at the right time. Pascal’s character plays the protective father archetype. Meanwhile, Ramsey’s character plays the adopted daughter, only one who can break down his walls. Among other things like great LGBT+ representation and incredibly creepy cool prosthetics, this show seamlessly balances sci-fi horror with humanity.

So whether you’re excited for the day your Dad walks you down the aisle or wish never to speak to him again, we can all find some emotional clarity and healing in this new media.

Casey LaPlaca has been a member for the Her Campus at Tampa chapter since coming to the University. Her articles chronicle her consumption of art and media; also her occasional observations about injustices and inconsistencies. Beyond Her Campus, Casey is a Junior at the University of Tampa, specializing in Design with a double minor in Writing and Advertising. Her passion for art and expression lies in her lived experiences, which she writes about here and reflects on as a member of the Diversity Advisory Board at her University. Casey believes in both keeping a positive attitude and practicing the art of decompressing through rewatching a sitcom. She invites readers to sit back and enjoy a cold milkshake while we get nostalgic and/or enlightened.