This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

There has been a new issue that has come to many readers’ attention: book bans. Book bans are regulations against the freedom of writing, with censorship against specific topics. In the 2022-2023 school year, many educational and entertainment books have been banned from school districts and classrooms. Topics of violence, abuse, health, grief, racism, LGBTQ+, and more have been highlighted for the banned content. The issue of banning books has provoked a bunch of discussion and action. 

WELL-KNOWN BANNED BOOKS

• The Handmaids Tale: The Graphic Novel
  • A Court of Mist and Fury
  • Milk and Honey

The three titles above are all different genres of books. We have a dystopian, a fantasy, and a poem novel. The books regard sexual experiences, abuse and assault, health, and more. They are the subjects that aren’t supposed to be hidden from young kids. They should be educated on what is out in the world today and learn how to handle issues on their own, not be hidden from them.  

WHY ARE THESE BOOKS BANNED?

Why these books are banned is the most asked question when seeing the updated list of banned books of the school year. Rupi Kaur writes that “it deeply concerns me that there is a group of people hell bent on taking away literature that students find refuge in.” These topics can comfort people going through similar situations and make them feel like they are not alone. Yes, these topics are sensitive and explicit, but is the best resolution to ban them? 

THE UNBURNABLE BOOK

The fight against censorship in books has been alive for years. The bans and mistreatments of books can be offensive to many readers and authors, so Penguin Random House decided to take action by creating the “Unburnable Book”. They created a fireproof edition of The Handmaid’s Tale by Margarate Atwood. Those chose this book because it holds a powerful story of a dystopian society dealing with sexuality and politics. It is not an easy read, but it will inspire and move the audience. 

This campaign is significant because it gained global attention to the issue of censorship. The book is a global symbol of the fight against censorship now from the impact of the campaign. This story shows strength during the worst of times and can impact readers; the book should not be burned.

WHAT IS NEXT?

Will authors be scared to express their creativity or feelings? Will readers stop connecting to the new stories that reflect our current society? Having books that represent people in our current lives “…helps young people see themselves and feel valued…and provides opportunities to learn about the experiences of people who are different than they are….” Organizations like ADL and Pen America serve to fight for the freedom of speech and writing. They bring awareness to viewers about the importance of books for people, which is necessary.  

Although there are two viable sides to this situation, there should be more thought going into this fight. States have passed laws against banning books, and now there are many websites promoting and informing the issue. We need to save books for our safety, escape, and connection to the world and our people. 

“the world gives you so much pain

and here you are making gold out of it

– there is nothing purer than that”

-Rupi Kaur

Alexis Duffy is the President and Senior Editor at the Her Campus at Tampa chapter. She writes and edits articles as well as managing the chapter at Tampa. Her articles cover entertainment and lifestyle topics focusing on films and traveling. Outside of Her Campus, Alexis is a senior at the University of Tampa, double majoring in Communication, Media & Culture, and Advertising & Public Relations. She is currently an part time employee at the Tampa Bay Arts & Education Network, where she works on media projects and shadows in the tv studios helping with production. Alexis enjoys art, adventures, film, and traveling during her downtime. She often finds herself going down a rabbit hole when watching videos about the production of a movie, interviews, and fun facts about cinema. Alexis always seems to have her phases, whether it’s a Harry Potter marathon or watching The Dark Knight Trilogy.