TBT: ‘She’s So Hot’…Or Not!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

During the long—well worth it—night that was UT’s Relay for Life, we were entertained by, in my opinion, one of the most interesting fundraising events—a drag queen fashion show. As I was a photographer for Her Campus UT, I had the pleasure of taking candid shots of the “ladies” as they walked the “runway”. Here are a few:

The purpose of this “show” was to help bring awareness to how uncomfortable those who suffer with cancer feel in their own skin sometimes, and the guys getting all dolled up helped demonstrate this feeling.

However, with all of the parading around that these guys did, I couldn’t help but notice that some of these guys made sexier girls that I did.

The fact that a few of these guys went all out, shaving their legs, donning the uber high heels, and putting make-up on to near perfection, fascinated me and, to be honest, definitely had me questioning my competency as a sexy female.

Although, what disturbed me the most was the actions of these “ladies”. Most of them strutted on stage, looking confident, and then they began gyrating, booty shaking, and boob jiggling. And I thought to myself—“Why does that get the screams and approval from an audience?”

Don’t get me wrong, I know full well that sex sells, and can be a form of empowerment. However, making it necessary and the “norm” for us collegiettes to feel pressured into showing off our bodies is wrong. Yes, we should be confident about ourselves and be comfortable in our own skin. We shouldn’t, however, feel like our bodies are the only measurement system that people can use to judge us.

So, just remember this—rock your body the way you want to!!!!! You are super sexy just the way you are!!! Also, the more comfortable you are with yourself, the more confident you will be, and in turn, you my friend, will be smoking hot!!!

HCXO, ladies!

Claire is a junior Writing and FMA (Film & Media Arts) double major. She hails from Huntsville, AL, where she resided from the point of birth until beginning her journey here at the University of Tampa. She is greatly enjoying her college career, and can be seen hopping around campus, either going to class, or doing something in relation to the many organizations she is a part of. When not actively involved with classes, Her Campus, and/or other organizations, Claire can be found lounging around in her room, most likely glued to her laptop, or writing with her quill pen in her journal, or perhaps reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy (her latest book quest).