Style > Fashion

Spring into Styles – 2024 Trend Forecasting

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Spring is here, with the start of many flowers blooming and bright colors emerging from the shadows. It is the season known for the pastels of Easter and the beginnings of sunny, warm weather. Spring is the start for fun color palettes and allows for flirtatious expressions of personal style. 

All things spring: the trends forecasted for this 2024 season by a fashion-focused college girl. Start from the top with headbands down to the bottom with simple socks, shoe combinations, and everything else in between. Follow along for the spring 2024 trend report! 

But don’t forget that all trends can be thrifted, so keep a sustainable mindset when joining in the trends and save some coin! 

Starting from the top – And headbands are in!

Bows, bows, bows were all the rage for the coquette core of the past seasons. Coming into 2024, the hair accessories will continue but in a shift from bows to headbands. Channeling our inner upper east side Blair Waldorf with a fun accent of sophistication. Or this touch could be a cohesive pop of color that adds a fun red flair to our outfit. Diving into headbands is a functional way to keep your hair out of your face while adding a new dimension to the outfit. Headbands can be used to sandwich an outfit by color-blocking two aspects that match- like matching a headband to a purse or shoe.

All about Pastels!

Barbiecore Pink has unfortunately run its course, and a softer approach is coming. The spirit of Easter is sharing hints of pastels into clothing with the colors of the season being matcha green, buttermilk yellow, and light sky blue. This color palette exudes a comforting and blooming tone, alluding to the feelings of peace and serenity from winter. These color tones allow for playful outfits that evoke the inner nostalgia of being a kid again.

No sleeves? Just Vests!

Emerging from the winter months, vests are a practical yet stylish piece to add to an outfit. There is not a stress of committing to a full layer, but the protection from the cold is still there. Or, come the warmer days of spring, vests serve as a way to combat the heat with a sleeveless option. In both cases, vests are able to add visual interest to an outfit through different materials or patterns. Vests are versatile in denim, leather, sweater, or even patchwork, floral, or textured. Vests are a great piece year-round, but I think spring 2024 is the true season for the vest!

Two great pattern styles can be seen this spring of 2024 with the popularization of patchwork and floral blue porcelain art. 

First, Patch it up!

After the rise of NFL fashion designer Kristin Juszczyk, who created sustainable pieces through the patchwork fashion of football jerseys, the growth of second-hand designers skyrocketed. We can see an influx of patchwork fashion in this industry that plays on the flirtatious and fun colors found in creating color schemes. Patchwork – What once was popular in 2022 has shifted into the new trend cycle with quilted materials. The new materials add to the floral aesthetics and popular flower trends to a new level.

Is that Blue Porcelain Art?

As inspired by Jake Gibson (Instagram:@suburbanmemories), the “Blue Porcelain” concept shifting to clothing attire could be highly influential this spring of 2024. The pattern adds a depth of history but encapsulates the popular trends of floral and blue colorways. The “Blue Porcelain” pattern is an expansion on the Coastal Granddaughter aesthetic that took over the summers of 2022 and 2023 but in a more remarkable way due to the nod to the past.

Stomping it out – Socks and Shoe Combos!

New York City influencer Anna Barger (Instagram: @Anna_Barger) is taking the world by storm with her daily NYC street fit checks, which always include an eccentric shoe and sock combination. Barger is able to add her own touch of flair to every outfit because she takes the steps to add a quirk to her staple pieces. The very foundation and foot of her outfits get to have a piece of her personality. Inspired by Anna, I started to branch out into finding fun socks – ones with ladybugs or my favorite food! In pairing a fun sock or a fun shoe with a boring sock, there can be an added complexity to your outfit creating a sense of confidence, positivity, and even some pep in your step.  

Even if something is “out of trend,” it doesn’t mean you need to stop wearing it; think about what you love to wear and wear it! Among the noise of micro trends and the multitude of overconsumption, remember there are no rules to fashion!

Wear what you feel best in, and that is what makes you fashionable!

Riley Snowden is a current senior studying Communication, Media, and Culture at The University of Tampa. She has conducted research on a Feminist approach to Open Source Investigation with a focus on the Russian and Ukraine War. Snowden is originally from Annapolis, Maryland and enjoys being active by running.