This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Someone you love had an abortion, you just may not know that. If someone gets an abortion, they are not required to shout it into the world; it is their business and their business alone. They have the right to confide in who they trust. The stigma against abortion pins those who get one to be evil, dirty, and murderous. It is time that comes to a stop.

The right to get a safe abortion is one that had to be fought. Abortions existed long before Roe v. Wade and they will continue to exist forever. Roe made it possible to gain access to safe abortions. This is about health care. Pre-Roe abortions were fatal for those who acquired them, but it felt like their only choice. Surviving underground abortions was a miracle. 

When I heard about the draft of overturning Roe v. Wade, I felt my world stop. This is my future at stake. This is the future of my students and my family. Limiting access to a safe abortion is detrimental to health care. This is how people with a uterus die. We are backtracking and making the world more dangerous for the generations to come. 

The right to choose is one that can be used for any reason. Overturning Roe v. Wade would be reaffirming old school ideals that women are to be homemakers. It would reaffirm that women are the property of a man and do not have the capability to make their own decisions. The safety of others would be at risk. Rights beyond safe abortion access will be challenged.

People who call themselves “pro-life” in this country remain hypocritical. They are merely pro-birth. You cannot claim to be pro-life when denying an abortion is putting someone at risk. After birth, the country often fails to provide assistance, housing, food, and health care. Lower income communities do not have the same access to education and these are the communities that abortion bans would impact most. The United States has a high rate of gun violence. Living in Florida, the governor wants to restrict abortion access while making access to guns easier. The governor plans to implement constitutional carry. This would give gun access to people without training. Neither of these are pro-life. These are dangerous. 

If you are thinking that overturning Roe v. Wade is pro-life, just remember that someone you love had an abortion.

Hi! This is Jillian (but she really prefers to be called Jilly or Jill) from the University of Tampa. Jilly grew up right outside of Boston, Massachusetts. Jilly is an education major with a double minor in political science and leadership studies. She enjoys baking, ice cream, reading, and jamming to music with her friends. She's totally a dog person but has a special spot in her heart for cats. Jilly plans to teach the 3rd or 4th grade with hopes of instilling a love of learning in future generations.